Outdoor tv and music with Sonos amp

• 8 May 2019
  • 6 replies

I am planning an outdoor living room that will be covered and screened. I love in Houston so regardless of the shelter from elements, humidity is a huge issue so I’m not going to put a playbar outside. Therefore I want to have a television supported by Sonos outdoor speakers. I want four speakers in the room to insure enough sound for when we have parties at the house. Can I configure the Sonos amp to play tv audio through four outdoor speakers and then switch to music when required? Is there a more efficient/higher quality configuration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, you can connect up to 2 pairs (3 pairs if you use Sonance's Made-For-Sonos speakers).

Yes, you can switch between TV/Music using the app.

This would be the setup for your needs. The only other consideration is if you wish to have surround sound, then another amp can be used to power the surrounds.
I am setting up something similar. Outdoor TV and ceiling mounted speakers on a covered patio. Amp and cable box and Roku indoors in the basement. Questions....

1) How are you getting the TV signal to the AMP? Running a long ARC HDMI cable, or ARC Balun? I worry about the long term performance of the Balun.
2) How are you controlling the Cable box? IR extender or some form of wifi remote?
3) How should I connect the Roku? Leave it outside with the TV or Balun it in or other?

I realize only some of this is Sonos specific, but any help is appreciated.
I'm running 4 outdoor speakers off the Sonos amp, for music and TV (though mostly music), also in the Houston area. My amp itself is in a closet indoors with the speaker wire going out to the speakers in the yard.

And I would definitely not put a playbar outside, particularly on days like today.
Thanks Danny, when you’re using the speakers for the tv, what is the setup? Are all four speakers playing audio?
Yes, all 4 speakers are playing audio for TV and music sources. My speakers are not to the left and right of the TV in the traditional sense, so sometimes I'll use the TVs speakers as well.
I am setting up something similar. Outdoor TV and ceiling mounted speakers on a covered patio. Amp and cable box and Roku indoors in the basement. Questions....

1) How are you getting the TV signal to the AMP? Running a long ARC HDMI cable, or ARC Balun? I worry about the long term performance of the Balun.

I'm using two long lead HDMI cables. Actually 2 of them, each around 40 feet long. One goes from the amp, through attic to a wall plate. The other goes from the wall plate to the TV.

2) How are you controlling the Cable box? IR extender or some form of wifi remote?

Neither. For my case, I have one cable box with an HDMI splitter going to the inside TV and the outside TV. So the cable remote remains inside with the inside TV 95% of the time, I could use the remote through the window if I wanted to. In the case where I don't want the two TVs in sync, I'm usually able to use a streaming channel to get what I want. Seriously, I think it's important to take a hard look and what you want cable tv for with your outdoor TV and see if there is really a need that streaming can't meet. Then spend the money you would have spent on wiring and renting a cable box to improve your wifi coverage to your outdoor space if you haven't already.

3) How should I connect the Roku? Leave it outside with the TV or Balun it in or other?

Not sure if you already have your TV purchased, but get a smart TV if you can. Also, I wouldn't really bother paying the extra for a TV built specifically for the outdoors. Last I checked, they are a lot more, and everyone I know has done pretty good with a regular TV,, particularly in a covered area. Personally, I have my TV on a cart that I roll out when I want to use it, partially to protect it and partially because I couldn't decide where I wanted it mounted. That could change at some point.

That said, if you don't want to use a smart TV for whatever reason, then I would just leave it outside.

I realize only some of this is Sonos specific, but any help is appreciated.