Question

Outdoor tv

• 16 August 2019
  • 2 replies

I have an outdoor TV that is being installed in a covered patio. There are existing ceiling speakers that I have run down to a connect:amp. I am trying to figure out how to get sound from the tv into these speakers. I don’t think that a beam would hold up well to the humidity, though this area should be away from any direct weather. Thanks for any help you can provide!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I have done this a couple of days ago - with a Connect + Yamaha stereo amp - but the logic for this is the same as it would be for you with a Connect Amp.
My findings till now:
  1. My TV has just analog outputs for audio, and I connected these to the line in on the Connect, set to uncompressed. The delay isn't a bother for the lip sync, but line in levels have to be set to 10, because the signal voltage from the TV outputs isn't anywhere as high as from many other kinds of source equipment like CD players or DACs so the volume levels on the Connect have also to still be set higher than for other sources.
  2. The problem is when trying to add other Sonos speakers in a group to the Connect, because uncompressed streaming is very susceptible to drops even with good wireless connections between these speakers and the Connect. I am in touch with Sonos Support to see what can be done, but they have up front said that wirelessly adding more than one speaker to such a group is dicey and will probably not be stable.
  3. On the other hand, changing to compressed mode that could solve this problem creates a very intrusive lip sync problem.
The first thing for you to see is what are the kinds of output jacks the TV has. And what will be the source for the TV - mine is just a Fire Stick.
If the TV has analog outputs, you could connect it to the analog inputs on the CONNECT:AMP. There'd be a slight delay as the signal gets processed, but you may not notice it. Or you may.

If the TV has an HDMI-ARC port, you could consider replacing the CONNECT:AMP with a Sonos Amp, and string an HDMI cable from the ARC output to the ARC input on the Sonos. Wouldn't be that delay to deal with, since that's what it's designed for (there is a delay, just much smaller, and not detectable) . That could power those ceiling speakers without issue, since it's actually a more powerful amp inside.