Question

Outdoor speakers for sonos connect amp

• 17 January 2018
  • 18 replies

Badge
Trying to decide which speakers to get for my backyard (pool area), i only want to put 2 of them either 2 atrium (1 pair) or 2 atrium 8 (1 pair) the atriums 8 have the capability for dual input making them a load speakers (Single stereo speaker), not sure how big of a benefit this is outdoor but it does sound interesting

Ill ordered the sonos amp, so not sure what would be my best option 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I run 2 speakers in my back yard in just plain L/R configuration and they work fine. Outdoor I can't really tell the left right separation anyhow.

I guess if I had the budget I would probably chose the ones that are actually each stereo. I assume it will sound better that way. Since they are 8ohms you can hook 2 (1pair) of them to the Connect:Amp using the stereo connection (so you would have 2 wires to each of the L/R outputs).
Badge
That means 4 wires to each speaker?? And 2 wires to each of the speaker connectors on the back of the amp,
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes each speaker would get a Left +/- and Right +/- so 4 wires per speaker.

Then all 4 wires connected to the appropriate locations on Connect:Amp. Then the other speaker exactly the same and put on the Connect:Amp 2 on top of the others wires (so 2 wires on each post).
Badge
Thanks for fast reply, will the sonos amp be able to drive the atrium 8? It just looks like the amp was made for non single speaker stereo
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Connect:Amp can power up to 4 total 8 ohms speakers (2 lefts and 2 rights). It says the Atriums are 8 ohms (and really each speaker is really acting as though it is 2 speakers). So to me they should put a load on the Connect:Amp the same as four 8 ohms speakers would - which the amp is designed for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here is a good page on wiring etc. for the Connect:Amp
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269/~/connecting-speakers-to-a-connect%3Aamp

I guess if I had the budget I would probably chose the ones that are actually each stereo. I assume it will sound better that way.

So would I, they would sound better. Almost every outdoor situation does better by not having the speakers play just one of the two channels because stereo imaging in a small sweet spot is rarely a desired outcome and one speaker usually dominates in its part of the space. Unfortunately, the Connect Amp does not have a mono toggle switch that would be very useful in these installs.
Badge
So i got this combo today the amp the atrium 8 speakers, and im a bit dissapointed i connected 1 of them in full stereo mode (4 cables from the speaker, 4 cables at the amp (1 per connector) and while playing pandora, or google music, i have to go to like 80% volume to start listening to it from 7ft away from the speaker. Do i have to change some settings? i also tried to put one speaker in L/R mode and it actually sounds louder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All you can really do to boost is turn up the equalizer a bit but that isn't going to get you much more.

If you think you need more power your best bet then would be buying a separate amplifier and hooking a connect to it.
Badge
They are quite loud at 90%-100%, i just tought i saw some people saying that at 20% volume these speakers were loud.... is it normal for r/l to sound louder than full stereo?
Badge
Also this amp does 55w per channel right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's what I have heard before that it's a solid 55watts per channel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well if they are really loud at 90% I don't think you have a problem. That is just one speaker - how does it sound with both hooked up.
Badge
Im sure good, ill try in a bit, any issues running this thing at 90% for extended time?
No issues, as long as the amp is in a well ventilated place in the home. And it there is an issue brewing the amp will shut down before damaging itself, so you will get notice.

Modern amps have led people to believe that sound levels should be elevated early in the movement of the volume control, something that is designed to lead them to think that the amp is powerful. The Connect Amp does not do this, and keeps sound levels rising without distortion almost all the way to 100%.

As to sound levels for most speakers that do just one channel, having just one speaker on reduces the sound levels compared to both on and playing stereo together. So I don't know why for these speakers, r/l sounds louder. Recheck the wiring from the recommendations to see if an error there is the reason.
Badge
Awesome thanks for all replies... Now is there a way to check if the amp is working correctly without trying another one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like it is working properly if you get good volume at 90%.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I guess if I had the budget I would probably chose the ones that are actually each stereo. I assume it will sound better that way.

So would I, they would sound better. Almost every outdoor situation does better by not having the speakers play just one of the two channels because stereo imaging in a small sweet spot is rarely a desired outcome and one speaker usually dominates in its part of the space. Unfortunately, the Connect Amp does not have a mono toggle switch that would be very useful in these installs.

Just a word of caution, ‘stereo’ single speakers are not the simple fix they might appear to be.

I have ceiling speakers throughout, stereo pairs in the bedrooms, and single ‘stereo’ units (single bass driver, twin tweeters) in the bathrooms.

For weeks I was hearing strange anomalies in music I was very familiar with. Certain parts of the mix would disappear. I even queried this with the speaker manufacturer who confirmed that depending on the mix, certain parts could be electrically cancelled out (with the single bass driver) or acoustically cancelled out (with the twin tweeters being so close). It doesn’t happen a lot — but it is definitely something to bear in mind when considering single ‘stereo’ speakers.

Andrew