Answered

One CD player, two amps

Hi all,
I moved into a house with four rooms with two built in ceiling speakers each, eight speakers total. All the wires are centrally located but there’s no equipment. I’m planning on getting two Sonos amps in order to be able to control each room separately, but one question remains: I would like to have a CD player input, but not sure how to accomplish this with two amps? I’m a newbie with speaker equipment but I believe home CD players usually just have one output - is it possible to have one player go to both amps to play in all rooms at the same time?
Thanks for any help! I have searched the forum as well as the internet but there are so many scenarios it’s hard to find one that matches mine. Any help appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 March 2019, 03:53

Plug the CD player in to one of the Amp's line in. When you want to have the CD player on one of the other "rooms" in Sonos parlance (think the same thing as a "zone" in other companies), you would just group the room, or play from the source where you want. The thing which isn't as self evident is that a line-in is an independent concept from the device it is connected to. So you can have the line in on one of the amps only playing on other speakers, and not on the speakers connected to the amp it is connected to. On an old style receiver/amp, it's like playing the input on room B, and turning off room A's speakers.
View original

1 reply

Plug the CD player in to one of the Amp's line in. When you want to have the CD player on one of the other "rooms" in Sonos parlance (think the same thing as a "zone" in other companies), you would just group the room, or play from the source where you want. The thing which isn't as self evident is that a line-in is an independent concept from the device it is connected to. So you can have the line in on one of the amps only playing on other speakers, and not on the speakers connected to the amp it is connected to. On an old style receiver/amp, it's like playing the input on room B, and turning off room A's speakers.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings