Question

Old play 5, will it pair with a new one

Show first post

37 replies

Given your configuration, I wouldn't 'pair' your Play:5's - even if you could. I'd only 'group' them. Unpaired and 'grouped' - each Play:5 plays the signal from both channels. (quadraphonic sound in the middle,if you will) Paired - each Play:5 only plays one channel. So if you're in the Sunroom, you'll hear the left channel close up but the right channel in the Living Room will be far away and vice-versa. Your stereo separation will be severely distorted - unless you are actually in the middle where you'll hear both channels but both will be far away.
I would like to pair them because one Play5 is in my sunroom pointed in, our kitchen where we spend most of our time is in the middle, then the other new Play5 is in the living room pointed in. Just happens to be on the opposite sides of the house but it is all open in between. Excuse me. Sorry if I offended you know it all geeks...

You know, I've been insulted hundreds of times on this forum, but it's usually for being purposefully obnoxious. That wasn't the case with you. Sorry for being a "know it all geek" on a forum where people seek out the opinions of people who are know it all geeks. Enjoy your very far apart unpaired speakers.
I would like to pair them because one Play5 is in my sunroom pointed in, our kitchen where we spend most of our time is in the middle, then the other new Play5 is in the living room pointed in. Just happens to be on the opposite sides of the house but it is all open in between. Excuse me. Sorry if I offended you know it all geeks...

"Pair" will not work as well as "Group" in your situation. In a "Pair" you will miss the right or left channel that will be playing on the other side of the house because the closest speaker will dominate. Group will operate as easily as Pair with the added benefit that it is easier to trim the volume of any member of a Group. While it is possible to trim the volume of a Pair, this is not a very convenient procedure.
Userlevel 2
I have 2 play 5's ab stereo and the fact I can't have the separation in my kitchen/dining room is a bit of a problem. The idea from sonos it would not be a good experienced forgets that I still have an old play 5 that is playing with the new play 5 in a group.
I have 2 play 5's ab stereo and the fact I can't have the separation in my kitchen/dining room is a bit of a problem. The idea from sonos it would not be a good experienced forgets that I still have an old play 5 that is playing with the new play 5 in a group.

So what? Sonos can't prevent you from grouping unlike speakers. However, they can regulate the quality of sound from stereo pairs, and they feel pairing unlike speakers is detrimental to the sound quality they market for their product. I for one agree with them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Dude-I can't pair my play:5 with a bose either. Get over it or buy a new play:5 already. That's your options
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This is becoming a bit of a joke. In fact people want to pair two completely different speakers just because they share the same name.
Badge
well im a sonos newbie and hooked... seems like i am going to snap up a Sonos Play5 Gen1 for a bargain and use as an additional speaker (when i get my collection of play 1's & play 3's

i understand that the Play5 Gen1 does not pair with the Playbar, that's been made clear by Sonos (Gen2 does)

and holy crap the playbar is so loud & i mean loud. so happy with the purchase. 🙂
Nothing "pairs" with the Playbar. The play:1, 3 and new 5 will "bond" with the Playbar as surrounds, "pair" means specifically creating a stereo pair.
Badge
Thanks for clarifying "The LHC". I just purchased a Play1 to "bond" .. my collection of Sonos speakings is growing quickly 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
No. Why would you pair 2 different speakers in stereo. It would be no different then buying 2 different speakers for left and right on a regular amp. If a company came out with a version 2 of a wired speaker who would want to hook the new on one side and old on other side. It is no different here. In no way would it sound right. You must group them instead so both play stereo on there own.

Difference is I think that in the majority of cases "Hi-Fi" speaker units are usually purchased as a pair so they are ready matched sonically for stereo.if an upgrade was desired, buyers would purchase a new pair. Few people buy such left/right units separately. Hooking up two Play 5s, bought at different times to form a stereo pair wouldn't be a very common occurrence I would have thought.
Having said that I think a name change or other way of differentiating between new and older ones would have been a good idea.
Thanks for clarifying "The LHC". I just purchased a Play1 to "bond" .. my collection of Sonos speakings is growing quickly :)

It'll need to grow even more quickly if you're looking to add that play:1 to a Playbar, you need two play:1s to add as surrounds, you can't just add one I'm afraid.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings