Question

Old play 5, will it pair with a new one

I have a 3 year old play 5, will it be okay to pair with a new one or will I be better getting 2 new 3's

37 replies

Yes it'll work, the play:5 hasn't been updated since its release, so they'll be physically identical.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
LHC is correct, I marked his post as the answer. The PLAY:5 was originally called the Sonos S5, but the hardware of the unit hasn't changed.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
So, will S5s or old Play5s pair up with the new Play 5s?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I doubt you will be able to stereo pair the new and old play. Only be able to group. Of course new play:5's will pair with Playbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I doubt you will be able to stereo pair the new and old play. Only be able to group. Of course new play:5's will pair with Playbar.

This is correct. The new PLAY:5 sounds drastically different from the original one, a stereo pair would be noticeable different on one channel, not a good experience.
Badge +1

This is correct. The new PLAY:5 sounds drastically different from the original one, a stereo pair would be noticeable different on one channel, not a good experience.

This is a key point and should be clearly pointed out in marketing material, to avoid complaints from current owners. Maybe the name for the new Play 5 should be different in order to make that point of difference in compatibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
We'll try to make that clear in several places and of course we'll be letting everyone know who asks. Stereo pairing is for identical units, the old PLAY:5 and the new one are very different, the biggest similarities is the name. We didn't want to change the name either as people know that the PLAY:5 is our top of the line all in one speaker. We didn't want to confuse things with adding a PLAY:6 or PLAY:5x to the family at the same time as we stop selling the PLAY:5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think its to late the change the name.....the boxes have already been printed !!!

Well we could get some stickers....
I think that it is unfortunate that the new unit is called "PLAY:5". This will cause endless confusion for users and unnecessary support calls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It wasn't too late to change the mute to a pause button even post production; -)
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yeah keeping the play 5name for a completely different sounding speaker is a another dumb, poorly researched, decision by SONOS,
Well, thanks for that insight, very useful...
We didn't want to confuse things with adding a PLAY:6 or PLAY:5x to the family at the same time as we stop selling the PLAY:5.

I think "Gen 2" is the industry accepted nomenclature in this situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I realize this thread needs a bit of clarification based on the first posts here and what happened later. When this post was first made, the new version of the PLAY:5 hadn't been announced so it was in reference to a 3 year old gen1 pairing with a new gen1 unit. Since the first posts here, we announced the new version of the Sonos PLAY:5 or PLAY:5(gen2). That new version will not be able to make a stereo pair with an older PLAY:5, as we've discussed here since.

Please let me know if you have any questions around this.

In situations where both of the player names appear together, we'll try to specify (gen1) versus (gen2). Also, when it's important to specify the unit capabilities between the old PLAY:5 and the new one, we'll refer to them the same ways or have pictures for which units you're dealing. For instance, when talking about bonding a PLAY:5 with the PLAYBAR, it'll specific PLAY:5 (gen2) in the application. In general, the two PLAY:5s will have much the same software and functionality, so changing the name to determine which one is which isn't entirely necessary.
That new version will not be able to make a stereo pair with an older PLAY:5, as we've discussed here since.
would you please confirm that information I am thinking to buy a new PLAY 5 if I can make it stereo maybe i go for SUB with my old PLAY 5, any idea?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As has been stated - old and new Play:5 can not stereo pair. It would make no sense to pair them as they are not similar speakers in any way (only by name).
Chris, thank you very much for your quick reply. Cheers!!
Badge
This really sucks...wish I'd researched this before buying the new gen 2 Play5. Figured it out the hard way, when they wouldn't pair up in the app. You'd think after spending that much for a speaker it would have that feature as an option. C'mon, Sonos, put out an update that will let us do that. I know the new one sounds a lot better, but my speakers are in opposite ends of the house and it wouldn't be that noticeable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. Why would you pair 2 different speakers in stereo. It would be no different then buying 2 different speakers for left and right on a regular amp. If a company came out with a version 2 of a wired speaker who would want to hook the new on one side and old on other side. It is no different here. In no way would it sound right. You must group them instead so both play stereo on there own.
This really sucks...wish I'd researched this before buying the new gen 2 Play5. Figured it out the hard way, when they wouldn't pair up in the app. You'd think after spending that much for a speaker it would have that feature as an option. C'mon, Sonos, put out an update that will let us do that. I know the new one sounds a lot better, but my speakers are in opposite ends of the house and it wouldn't be that noticeable.

Why would you pair speakers in opposite ends of the house? Pairing is for stereo speakers spaced close together as a stereo pair, with one playing the left stereo channel and the other the right. That is why they have to sound the same. Are you sure you don't mean grouping them? Because you can group any speakers together.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have some 10 year old B&W 600 series speakers. It would be like replacing just the left side with a new 600 series speaker. It would sound horrible.

Always people complaining without thinking what they are asking. It isn't going to happen and shouldn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your right jgatie. He is confusing creating a stereo pair with grouping. You can certainly group them as you can any Sonos unit and be playing same thing.
Badge
I would like to pair them because one Play5 is in my sunroom pointed in, our kitchen where we spend most of our time is in the middle, then the other new Play5 is in the living room pointed in. Just happens to be on the opposite sides of the house but it is all open in between. Excuse me. Sorry if I offended you know it all geeks...
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Sorry if I offended you know it all geeks...

The "geeks" were trying to help you - something I doubt they will be in a hurry to do again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No doubt

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings