Answered

Not sure whether to keep my playbar

• 28 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1Ch DTS:X 600W 45-Inch Sound Bar with 8" Wireless Subwoofer & 2-Way Rear Satellite Speakers. I was looking to maybe sell my playbar and get the above system instead. I mainly want a soundbar that is wireless for playing movies. I torn whether to stay with Sonos and buy the Sub but that an extra $600 when I can get all that above for $650. It looks like Sonos is not ever going to offer DTS support. So I will never be able to get the best sound from my Blu-ray or 4k discs. I just wonder how many of you have the 5.1 set up is it worth it? What speakers do you use for back surround? Are the play 1s good enough or would you recommend getting the play 5s for surround?
icon

Best answer by gregtommy 28 March 2018, 07:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I found out why it cant support dolby digital plus it explains it all here. https://www.lifewire.com/digital-optical-connection-1846881

The types of digital audio signals that can be transferred by a digital optical connection include two-channel stereo PCM, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, and DTS ES. So it could support older DTS formats if Sonos was to update it.

It is important to note that digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections - These formats require HDMI connections.
Badge
Yeah I am not familiar with the brand either. Dolby digital plus support is a good question. Don’t know if that is something Sonos could push out a firmware update to resolve or if it is more complicated than that.
Thank you for all your information and your time. I think you have convinced me to get the sub. As much as I like the extra features on the other device. I think Sonos products look better and the other product looks not as good build quality. The 5 star reviews of the other product had me wondering if it would be better for the price but I don't know anything of that brand. I first tried the Sonos system in a best buy store but that was with the sub. I was blown away by the sound quality on that. I had the playbar for about a year now, and I have saved up enough money to buy the sub now. Would dolby digital plus be the same reason Sonos couldn't support that too?
Badge
So I have a 5.1 setup and a 2.1 setup upstairs in the bedroom. The 5.1 uses the playbase and the 2.1 uses a playbar which is a moot point considering both of them are very impressive. DTS is a rough animal because of the way sonos works. So sonos because it hooks up to the digital audio port the tv has to support dolby directly instead of using DTS which is a format that is cheaper for a tv company to license since they don't have to pay a company for licensing like they would for dolby. Without going too in depth into that topic there are only 2 tv companies that consistently put out tvs that directly feed dolby surround out of the digital audio port and those are Sony and Vizio tvs. I know there are some other brands that have a couple tvs that support dolby directly but that is jist for the most part. There is a hdmi/audio port box you can get that will provide dolby from your Blu-ray player to sonos (as long as your Blu-ray player supports dolby 5.1) and someone in the community that responds to this can probably fill in that information in which I do not have off hand.

As far as is it worth it. I will tell you the answer for me is yes. I am a sonos addict and I have 14 sonos speakers spread throughout my house and I started with a 5.1 setup. My reasons for running with Sonos is I am an avid music listener, I enjoy the surround sound for movies, but I also do enjoy cleaning a house having all the speakers going and being able to walk into every room hearing clear great sound. I don't have to worry about cleaning in a space that doesn't have music playing. I even recently expanded with speakers in my garage so when I am working on my car I can be listening to music. The 5.1 system is an investment, I have play 1s and if you were to go bigger you would get more sound, but my argument for the play 1s are your satellite speakers are meant for subtle noises and to add to the environment but not to blow out your ears from behind. Besides that I don't believe you are getting that much more by design since a play 1 can put out the sounds your are looking for from satellites in a smaller form factor and a cheaper price. Only you an make the decision on what size to go with but that's my 2 cents.

I will leave it on this, the difference between sonos and everyone else is Sonos makes smart speakers, you get a receiver, an amp, the speaker, all of the services sonos offers all in one well designed package and it is pricey. With all that if you have the expendable funds I would recommend getting the sub and remember sonos does have a 45 day return policy so keep that in mind. Good luck