Not sure how to set up or what to get

  • 26 July 2018
  • 1 reply

I have a cottage with 2 pairs of speakers in Dining room, 1 pair in the living room and 2 pairs on the outdoor deck. I want to put a Sonos system to run this with 3 different sectors so I can either have just one area playing or all 3. Any suggestion as so far all I know is I need Connect Amp type. I also know the older systems needed airport routers to run but do they still need that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, Kevin Del. Welcome to the community. I'll try my best to answer these questions. If these are passive speakers, yes, you need a CONNECT:AMP. You must firstly ensure that they are compatible. Also, be advised, each AMP pertains to one zone. If, on the other hand, these are active speakers, you could use a Sonos CONNECT.

What is the make and model of these devices you already have?

I'm not sure what you mean by older systems needing Airport routers. We used to require a minimum of one Sonos product wired to the router to establish a connection, though this is no longer a requirement. I would like to mention one other thing: if you are using WiFi extenders, you will encounter difficulties with the system. Cottage walls tend to be thick, which block WiFi signals. If you only have one router and this reaches all corners of the property, this will be fine and you can ignore all I said. Please let me know as much as possible and I will do what I can to help.