Answered

• 17 July 2019
  • 1 reply

I know nothing about Sonos other than the really good recommendations I have received from our friends with systems.

My wife and I are in the midst of renovating our home and looking at adding some sort of sound system. I really like the idea of Sonos and wanted to see if it would meet our needs and if this is a good options as well as determine what I would need for a system.

I have walls and ceilings open so I am thinking about architectural speakers and the AMP that my television can connect to via ARC channel (I checked and my TV has that input)

My question is will the AMP allow me to stream music via spotify or do I need something else?

Can I pair sonos speakers in our kitchen to the AMP wirelessly? (I am sure that there is a word for this)

Can I purchase a sonos SUB in the future and can this pair wirelessly to the AMP?

I realize that the wireless speakers and SUB will need power but I did not know if they must be tethered to the AMP

Would this allow me to have some sound from the TV as well as play music over the speakers?

Is the AMP interactive with Alexa?

Thanks for any help recommendations
icon

Best answer by jgatie 17 July 2019, 15:19

I know nothing about Sonos other than the really good recommendations I have received from our friends with systems.

My wife and I are in the midst of renovating our home and looking at adding some sort of sound system. I really like the idea of Sonos and wanted to see if it would meet our needs and if this is a good options as well as determine what I would need for a system.

I have walls and ceilings open so I am thinking about architectural speakers and the AMP that my television can connect to via ARC channel (I checked and my TV has that input)

My question is will the AMP allow me to stream music via spotify or do I need something else?

Yes. You need a premium subscription. Here's the full list of sources available to Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US

Can I pair sonos speakers in our kitchen to the AMP wirelessly? (I am sure that there is a word for this)

Yes, when you set up Sonos, you will assign your units to a Room. Any room can be grouped with any other room(s) to play in perfect sync.

Can I purchase a sonos SUB in the future and can this pair wirelessly to the AMP?

Yes. The only Sonos unit that cannot be bonded with the Sub is the Connect.

I realize that the wireless speakers and SUB will need power but I did not know if they must be tethered to the AMP

No, the only hard line connections needed is if you are connecting to a TV (optical or HDMI-ARC) or to the analog line-in (phonograph, CD player, etc.). Also, for larger installs (over 3-4 units) it is recommended that you connect at least one Sonos unit to Ethernet (wired setup) which activates the Sonosnet mesh for better reliability and range. If there is no handy Ethernet connection, the inexpensive Boost can be wired to your router.

Would this allow me to have some sound from the TV as well as play music over the speakers?

Yes. Any source can be played on any Sonos units you have.

Yes, it does not have Alexa built-in, but you can control it via any Alexa device like an Echo or Echo dot.

Hope this helps.
View original

1 reply

Yes. You need a premium subscription. Here's the full list of sources available to Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US

Yes, when you set up Sonos, you will assign your units to a Room. Any room can be grouped with any other room(s) to play in perfect sync.

Yes. The only Sonos unit that cannot be bonded with the Sub is the Connect.

No, the only hard line connections needed is if you are connecting to a TV (optical or HDMI-ARC) or to the analog line-in (phonograph, CD player, etc.). Also, for larger installs (over 3-4 units) it is recommended that you connect at least one Sonos unit to Ethernet (wired setup) which activates the Sonosnet mesh for better reliability and range. If there is no handy Ethernet connection, the inexpensive Boost can be wired to your router.

Yes. Any source can be played on any Sonos units you have.

Yes, it does not have Alexa built-in, but you can control it via any Alexa device like an Echo or Echo dot.

Hope this helps.