Question

new to sonos need some advice please on what to do

• 22 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi I’m new to Sonos need some advice on what to buy a few questions 

I have - 

zone 1 -living room with TV /ps4 , amp/hi fi with a turntable and lovely monitor audio floor standers 

walk through in to the kitchen zone 2

walk out on to the patio (zone 4?) 

turn through doors in to zone 3 man cave

zone 3 - a TV ,imac,  and another turntable , no amp /speakers as yet  , and an iMac 

……….

ive got a Sonos connect and a play 1 , only bits I’ve got so far 

….

Uplay 1 for the kitchen zone 2

the connect is for zone 1 living room in the hi fi

…..

I’ve been reading googling etc the past couple of days about what to get , starting with zone 3 the man cave is 1st …

questions on this …if I bought a Sonos amp, beam above TV , 2x play 1s for rears  , and plugged them turntable in to the amp via a phono pre amp , would it all work in harmony ?

Q- the tv work with the beam and rears for watching tv ?

Q- would the turntable play music through the beam and 1 rears ? And the 3 also work as a zone for wireless music ?

also just for music (not tv ) if I hard wired a pair of speakers placed either side of TV in to the amp , would they also play music in conjunction with the beam and 1s ?  I do understand they will not be used for tv as the beam won’t work as a center

and if I hard wired a pair of outdoor speakers in to the amp , could I switch them on /off just when needed to play a zone (4) ? Outdoor patio music ? 

im just wondering if that would work like that ?

or do I not use a beam and just get the amp and pair of 1s and use the speakers hard wired to both watch TV acting as a phantom center and the 1s as rears , and would all speakers play wireles music and the turntable ?

Appreciate any advice hope this makes sense ? 

Thank you 

7 replies

Badge +1

I’m just trying to get it clear in my mind how Sonos works /combines for tv and music 

zone 1 living room- 

hifi /turntable floor standers + connect 

TV , if I purchased a play base + pair of 1s

would that all work together as a zone ?

ie - watch tv/film using play base and 1s as rears

then for music turn amp on and the floor standers base and 1 rears would all play music in harmony via wireless or turntable ?

I think the answer is basically that it will do all of what you wish.  A ‘room’ in Sonos represents a speaker / player or one of a set of specific combinations of speakers (e.g. a stereo pair or a Playbase/surrounds/Sub HT set up).  You can play music from any source (including a turntable through a line-in) on any or all ‘rooms’.  You can group any rooms you like to play music in perfect sync.  They remain as separate rooms, but play together.  Creating and breaking apart groups is straightforward.

So for example your Connect ‘room’ (your hi-fi and floorstanders) could be grouped with your Playbase and Play:1s HT ‘room’ and you could play music in sync through all that gear.

Two minor caveats:

1. When Sonos HT ‘rooms’ are grouped together with other rooms there is a audio lag that may create an echo effect for TV sound only.  But it sounds like you aren’t planning to do that.  As I have already said, other sources will sync perfectly.
  2. If you want to run two sets of speakers from a single Sonos Amp, and be able to adjust the volume independently (including having sound from one set only) then you will need to get an impedance-managed speaker switch.  You can’t do that in the Amp itself.

I hope that helps.

Badge +1

Thanks for the reply john 

tried for 2 hours today to connect the connect ir play 1 to my Wi-Fi, can’t get them to connect 

With the number of Sonos units you are planning you should probably be using SonosNet anyway.  So try wiring one of your units to your router and do a Boost / wired setup. If you get that working we can discuss next steps. 

Badge +1

With the number of Sonos units you are planning you should probably be using SonosNet anyway.  So try wiring one of your units to your router and do a Boost / wired setup. If you get that working we can discuss next steps. 

I’ve got the Virgin super hub 3 , had no reason to look in to it beforehand my bose soundtouch always worked great as has everyting else, I’ve been googling it all day , tried the various steps I’ve found, disabled smart wifi , renamed the 2.4 and 5ghz etc, I’ve re booted , tried both Sonos products wired Ethernet many times, swapped ports, tried one, removed all others, etc etc tried everything many times, the Sonos app just wont find them

i can see the Sonos listed in the hub setting browser as wired but nothing else 

after all the reading about seems the hub is rubbish for sonos I think I should just get a new router

is the tenda nova mw3 mesh system any good ? Will that work with the Sonos ?

3 box system is £59 at currys at moment down from £99 I can pick one up tomrrow , it sounds like a good option rather than just 1 new router as it will also improve coverage around house and can put one in the man cave where a zone will be

will I have any issues if I get that ? 

appriciate any help

once I get these bits working I can move on to the next what parts to get although I did want to try order them tomrrow 

Don't know that system but meshes can be suboptimal for Sonos in WiFi mode. Generally, wiring a Sonos unit to the primary puck sorts this, but mesh systems do vary.

You seem to have tried everything on the VSH3. You don't have any access points or extenders at the moment?

Badge +1

Don't know that system but meshes can be suboptimal for Sonos in WiFi mode. Generally, wiring a Sonos init to the primary puck sorts this, but mesh systems do vary.

You seem to have tried everything on the VSH3. You don't have any access points or extenders at the moment?

got a TP link extender , tried it all ways around with that on /off etc   , tried just the hub with 5g turned off and basicly everything I could think off/find on google which bought up many results from here and virgin forums , seems they are a big problem with Sonos , I don’t know what else to try ? 

if I change the hub settings for Wi-Fi channel ,would that work ? Its the only thing I can think off, I’m no expert just a sort of mid range level and follow instructions on posts I can find etc