Question

New to Sonos. how... what... and why shoud I use it?

Hi there. 

I’m in a temporary house for a month, and I found a Sonos 1 (gen 2) in there. 

I immediately though: oh, great! a bulky good brand speaker! I can use it for music! Except that… I can’t. The process of configuring was very long and pissed me off already. When I finally understood that I need a specific app to run it, and made an account, the surprise. 

Unless I’m missing something obvious, Sonos app works only with specific in-app source. I was trying to listen to the Berlin Philharmonic digital concert hall and it’s not in the list. The starting page do not even find the music on my itunes library (and it takes several passages to connect it). 

No bluetooth available, so I cannot even use it as generic speaker. 

I am really not understanding the whole point of this. If I use any bluetooth speaker I can stream any music/source from phone from any app. Most of app have a bluetooth/apple tv like “output” button, which makes your life easier. Seems to me Sonos One is the other way round. It plays from within the app, but that limit it to the list of in-built sources. (by the way, it’s still thinking about importing my library. given the time taken I’m getting worried it’s duplicating the whole thing?)

What's the point of buying Sonos vs any bluetooth speaker? What am I missing? 

12 replies

little update in my sonos adventure. I’m impressed with audio quality, that for sure. 

If you are using an iPhone, you can use Airplay 2, Androids can “Play from this device”.

The SONOS App, does not store anything. The controllers send commands to the SONOS units. Unless you are using Airplay or “Play from this device”, the controllers don’t play anything and the controller can be shut down once instructions have been sent to the SONOS units.

Currently, only MOVE supports Bluetooth audio.

I realize that for many their phone/pad/tablet is the center of the media universe, but I prefer not to have my phone/pad/tablet/computer involved in playing my music. I’m a speed freak and playing music slows down my computer. If my phone is carried to an area with poor WiFi coverage and is the source of the music, the music will suffer. Plus, streaming music from my phone slows it down and clogs the phone’s wireless bandwidth. With SONOS, once I start the music, my worries are over. Another interesting wrinkle in a multiple user environment when music is playing from a portable device, the music will stop if that device leaves the house. (this is probably not an issue for your rental) If you have a SPOTIFY or similar account you can add this to the ONE -- be sure to remove it when you leave.

I start to see the point of this. Let’s say it’s a modern version of a radio. totally independent from any computer/phone and play it’s own source. 

Except that… you still need an iphone/computer to control. it would be amazing if it had a display or something to control it locally. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

sonos used to have dedicated controllers, but with most people having a smart phone or tablet, they were retired, as the market must have been getting less for them. 

Its a great eco system, once you understand how it works - some people get frustrated. 

It comes into its own when you have more than one speaker, being able to control multiple speakers, group them all to play the same thing, or separate for different people in different rooms, and for that to work seamlessly is really nice. 

The app is as you say - just like a remote screen for the device, so you tell the app to play something to the speaker, then close the app, as the speaker itself connects to the streaming resource (internet, local drive for iTunes etc)

Some people just dont ‘get it’ and think of sonos like a basic speaker they should just be able to stream too, and that's not really the point of a sonos system. 

Ive been building my system up for years, and have lots of different units around the house. Really pleased with it. 

By the way, that SONOS unit works with Alexa.

i still have to figure out how to proper use it. 

The fact that is not easy to decide what to play makes it a little bit more like a radio than like a speaker. And sound a little bit too much like data farming. I don’t want to sound paranoid, but… why sonos need to know my address and phone number in order to play? 

i still have to figure out how to proper use it. 

The fact that is not easy to decide what to play makes it a little bit more like a radio than like a speaker. And sound a little bit too much like data farming. I don’t want to sound paranoid, but… why sonos need to know my address and phone number in order to play? 

It doesn’t.  

I’d also say that whoever is renting out the temp home to you should have taken the time to provide some instructions with the Sonos One.  As pointed out, if your familiar with traditional speakers or bluetooth speakers, you aren’t going to immediately grasp how Sonos is different.  If it’s Alexa or Google Assistant enabled, they should let you know as well as some basic commands.  These are all things you’d get from Sonos if you were setting up the speaker yourself.  The owner should tell you where to get the Sonos app, and what streaming services they’ve set up, if any.

I’d also say that whoever is renting out the temp home to you should have taken the time to provide some instructions with the Sonos One.  As pointed out, if your familiar with traditional speakers or bluetooth speakers, you aren’t going to immediately grasp how Sonos is different.  If it’s Alexa or Google Assistant enabled, they should let you know as well as some basic commands.  These are all things you’d get from Sonos if you were setting up the speaker yourself.  The owner should tell you where to get the Sonos app, and what streaming services they’ve set up, if any.

well, that is a good point. I found the system not user friendly, that’s why my initial question “what am I missing”. 

does it have a way to connect to podcast streaming services? 

It doesn’t.  

it does. you need an account to use it, and you cannot create one if you do not enter at least a phone number and postcode. which is just one step before asking you the permission to use your location. 

another question. i notice this sonos keep stopping at random moment. any idea why this happened? 

In general, Sonos devices that stop at random moments are an indication of some sort of disconnection between the router and the Sonos speaker, but not always. Could be wifi interference, could be a duplicate IP address issue where the speakers are “fighting” for a connection to the router, or it could be an issue upstream from your local environment, such as DNS issues, or a problem with the server that provides the stream (not owned by Sonos). Without specifics, it’s hard to tell, which is why we most often recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.