Question

New to Sonos, and out of the stereo setup loop. Need advice

• 17 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello, I recently purchased an apartment which came with a defunct Bose Satellite system. Because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to purchase a replacement subwoofer for the old Bose, I ended up stuck in this gray area. I separately bought a Beam to amplify my TV audio. Fine. I can access it from my Mac and have been playing music out of it, as well. The apartment has a wide open “loft,” which I use as an office. There’s another office on the other side of my bedroom, as well. The Beam is fine when I’m downstairs near it. Upstairs, I have to turn it up unnecessarily loud. I have a Yamaha Receiver Amp but I’m not sure I want to remove the satellite speakers and replace them with a 2 channel setup in both the living and the back office. Or ditch the receiver setup entirely. Looking at what Sonos (and others) offer with the One SL remote speakers, and my lack of knowledge about what center or back speakers can do, my question is: If I place a One SL in my office and the office in the back room, is the sound emitted from the remote One SLs the exact stereo sound as the Beam or do they provide a different channel breakup of the music? As in a center speaker. My immediate purpose is to bring the Beam sound closer to me but do the SLs only offer a stereo sound that center or back speakers provide? Or are they a repeat of the Beam audio?

There’s a lot of stupidity and lack of knowledge of current stereo setups in my question. I hope I’ve explained myself well. Thank you in advance.

1 reply

It sounds like you’re not exactly on the right track in regards to how Sonos works. You would want to setup the Sonos One SLs in your office and other office as their own separate rooms.  You would now have 3 separate rooms in your system, with each room capable of playing music by itself, or in sync with the other two rooms (grouped) in any combination.  So you could have our office play by itself.  You could have your office and beam play together.  You could have your office play music, and your other office play different music entirely.  Get the idea?

To clarify a bit more, the Beam by itself is playing 3 channels of audio, left right and center.  An SL by itself only plays one channel mono. When you group speakers together, the Beam still plays the 3 channels and the SL plans mono.   However...you also can semi-permantly bond speakers together in the same room, different then grouping.  For example, you can bond 2 SLs together to play stereo.  They will always play together at the same volume when bonded.  You can also bond 2 SLs with the Beam so the Beam plus front channels and the SLs play rear channels for a home theater setup.  Again, always playing together.

Based on what you said, I don’t think you want to bond speakers together, but setup separate rooms to be grouped together as needed. You might want to consider getting 2 SLs for your main office, bonded to be a stereo pair, for improved sound there if you wish, for example.