New House Set-Up Question

• 4 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +2
Hi All

Moving to a new house which has a downstairs surround system consisting of a Yamaha Amp with 5 indoor speakers (inside surround for projector room) and 2 outdoor speakers on the pool patio. From my understanding, it contains MusicCast and can be separated (ie TV inside and music outside etc).

I currently have 2 play 1’s, 1 Play 3, and 1 Play 5.

My question is, is there a good way to establish a whole home system with individualized components? My tech guy is rwcommending another Yamaha system on the main level with in wall speakers and Music Cast.

My original idea was a Sonos Beam and Sub on main level TV with the two play 1’s as sureound. Using the Play 3 in my bedroom and my play 5 somewhere else.

Then buying a connect to control the entire Yamaha system in the media room. I realize I’d lose the ability to control the 5 speakers inside and 2 outside with the connect, but I could do this on the Yamaha amp itself.

Does that sound like the best way to control the whole house with music but still keep them individualized for TV purposes?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi bubby4113

It appears that you are discussing to two separate issues. As I read your post the main level TV has nothing to do with the Yamaha setup. That being the case you could setup the main level TV as you have suggested. Then integrate a Sonos Connect with the Yamaha.

You could separate the two outdoor speakers from the Yamaha and connect them to a Sonos Connect: Amp *.

In essence you’d have three rooms (i.e. Yamaha w/Connect / TV on main level / Patio w/two speakers)

By doing so you can group the outdoor speakers run by the Connect:AMP to the Connect tied to the Yamaha if playing music via another source (i.e. CD or turntable). Conversely, you can group all rooms or any combination you choose of the three (3) and the rooms with the Play 3 and Play 5. Total rooms = 5.

FYI, your additional spend would be $349 (Sonos Connect) and $499 (Sonos Connect:AMP) for a total of $848.

You would also have the ability to connect a line-in source to the Play 5 (i.e. Amazon Music Cast or Blu-Tooth receiver for a guest with no Sonos app on their phone). You would also (in the Sonos App) want to set the Line-in on the Play 5 and Connect to "auto".

* Read for limitations and requirements for speakers run by a Connect: AMP: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US

Coming soon is the New Sonos Amp ($599) that will offer Alexa voice control and Airplay2 compatibility. So if the Amp being used by the outdoor speakers is not hidden in a closet (but not exposed to moisture) you can control other Sonos components. For example..."Alexa, play smooth jazz on main TV level"

Cheers!