New House / New Setup

• 6 May 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
Hi. Moving into a newly built cottage in June. Trying to decide on the best Sonos package for my needs.
Thinking so far.

Living Room: Sound Bar + 2 Ones + Sub package.
Kitchen: 2 x Ones + 1 x Spot or Dot
Main Bathroom: 1 x One
Bedrooms: A One in each room

Just a couple of questions please:

Is it possible to create a stereo pair from a One and a Play One?

Ideally I'd like to be able to take and make mobile calls across the Sonos speakers. Am I correct in thinking this is possible with an Amazon Spot or Dot connected to a One? Would a call's sound come through the Sonos speakers in the kitchen rather than the Dot/Spot?

I had considered a 5 for the kitchen as I like bass and depth in my music. The general consensus seems to be that I'd miss stereo sound more if I were to do that, so at the mo I'm opting for 2 x Ones instead. Is the loss of overall bass with that setup horribly noticeable over a single 5?

In the UK we can't have mains power sockets in bathrooms, so I intend to ask the spark working on our new home at the moment to run a power cable to the bathroom window sill leaving just enough to plug in a One. Am I right in thinking that the end of that cable just needs to be a standard 2 pin plug such as the one in this snap?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
nope you won't be able to make calls over sonos ones. You can only do that with echo and dots. If you have play5 attach to a dot, them it might work. Never tried.

Nope, pairing one and play 1 is not available natively, there are apps. But not sure how they work.

But it seems you really spend a bunch of time in the kitchen have a pair of ones there. Going to a play will lose the stereo effect, but give you better highs, mids and bass response vs 2 ones. Yes, all you need is a normal figure 8 power connector at the bathroom end.
In the UK we can't have mains power sockets in bathrooms, so I intend to ask the spark working on our new home at the moment to run a power cable to the bathroom window sill leaving just enough to plug in a One.
Is that safe - or even legal? I suppose that if the electrician installs it and formally signs it off, then you're probably covered, but I'm not sure that I'd be happy with a device at mains level in a bathroom that wasn't specifically designed for the purpose.
Badge +1
nope you won't be able to make calls over sonos ones. You can only do that with echo and dots. If you have play5 attach to a dot, them it might work. Never tried.

Thanks for the reply. Will an incoming call on the Dot/Spot pause or dip the music playing on the connected Ones?
Badge +1
But it seems you really spend a bunch of time in the kitchen have a pair of ones there. Going to a play will lose the stereo effect, but give you better highs, mids and bass response vs 2 ones. Yes, all you need is a normal figure 8 power connector at the bathroom end.

Is it possible to connect 5 and two Ones? Just thinking that might give the sound in the kitchen a bit more punch, in stereo without having to invest in a Sonos sub.
Presumably any non Sonos sub would need to be connected to the kitchen setup using a Sonos Connect?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
You can make a group and have all 3 in the kitchen. I would pair the two ones first then group them with a play 5. The 5 will give you good amount of punch. Not at the sub level. But good nevertheless. But it might be a bit overkill depending on the size of the kitchen. A single 5, will fill most kitchens. It might not have stereo. But it will have excellent. Highs mids and bass response. If the kitchen is the main hangout area. I would just put 2 play 5. Then just connect a dot to one of the 5 and call it a day.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Thanks for the reply. Will an incoming call on the Dot/Spot pause or dip the music playing on the connected Ones?

That it will do. There is the ducking issue with Alexa and sonos. Some find it annoying. Couple of threads here about ducking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ducking should be alleviated soon...Sonos has said it is a priority for them.