New home setup help

• 2 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

So we had a house built and somewhere in the process there was a miscommunication of what was needed.

We have two in-ceiling speakers installed in our living room. The problem is that the connections for those ceiling speakers go down to the basement where the receiver is instead of to the living room. So the only audio we can get through our living room ceiling speakers would come from the receiver in the basement.

When I asked the company that installed all the sound systems they had said that, without needing to rewire a bunch of stuff, one of my options would be to get a sound bar for our upstairs tv and then some kind of hub, that the sound bar connects to, that connects to the receiver which would then sync the sound in the ceiling speakers with the sound bar.

They had recommended Sonos equipment but I'm not sure what we would need to make this work, if it works like that, and was hoping someone could make some recommendations. I think the Beam or Port + Sound bar might be what we need but I’m not sure.

TLDR; We have upstairs speakers that connect to a downstairs receiver. We want to be able to have the sound from our upstairs TV somehow also pass through the receiver so it can come through the upstairs speakers. 

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Are you hoping to get surround sound channel audio out of your ceiling speakers, or expecting them to play stereo audio, the same channels as whatever soundbar you use?

If it’s surround sound, Sonos might have a solution for you.  You get the Beam or Arc for a soundbar then get the Sonos Amp (replacing your receiver) to power your speakers, setup for surround sound. The soundbar and amp do not need to be physically wired together, but they do need to be connected over 5 GHz WiFi which may not work well if your living room and basement are not close together.

If you want the ceiling speakers to place normal stereo TV audio, Sonos can’t really help you with that.  You could still get an soundbar and an amp (or Port for this scenario) but the two devices can’t be bond as a single room, they would play as two separate rooms.  And for TV audio, the 2nd room is slightly delayed, creating an echo effect.   Really, I would just give up on using the ceiling speakers for this case and get a good soundbar.

Are you hoping to get surround sound channel audio out of your ceiling speakers, or expecting them to play stereo audio, the same channels as whatever soundbar you use?

If it’s surround sound, Sonos might have a solution for you.  You get the Beam or Arc for a soundbar then get the Sonos Amp (replacing your receiver) to power your speakers, setup for surround sound. The soundbar and amp do not need to be physically wired together, but they do need to be connected over 5 GHz WiFi which may not work well if your living room and basement are not close together.

If you want the ceiling speakers to place normal stereo TV audio, Sonos can’t really help you with that.  You could still get an soundbar and an amp (or Port for this scenario) but the two devices can’t be bond as a single room, they would play as two separate rooms.  And for TV audio, the 2nd room is slightly delayed, creating an echo effect.   Really, I would just give up on using the ceiling speakers for this case and get a good soundbar.

So if I went with adding them as surround sound channels then it would be setup something like:

Sound bar is connected to the TV upstairs.

The ceiling speakers would connect to the Amp downstairs (that’s where their connections are).

The sound bar and amp would then just need to be on the same 5ghz wifi, which shouldn’t be an issue. Then the ceiling speakers would just be used in support of the sound bar for surround sound?