Question

New Home Build

• 10 September 2019
  • 1 reply

I'm building a new home and plan to outfit the entire home with Sonos products. I'm not big into the voice control products so I was happy to see the Sonos SL come online as it has the best features of the One without the voice control.

I'm deciding between the Architectural speakers and the plug and play devices. Anyone gone down that same decision path? Pro's vs cons?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Mike Ca

It's been 6 days since your post and given the complexity of your request I can understand the lack of responses. Not to worry 🙂

Deciding between Architectural speakers and Sonos One SL's (not mention Play 5's, Beam, Playbar or Playbase) is not an apples to apples decision. It really depends upon your end objective.

1. Are you considering only music and if so are you wanting to conceal the speakers in a wall or ceiling (which then requires a Sonos Amp to drive them) or a combination of Architectural and Sonos One SL speakers.
  2. Might you also be considering a HT setup wherein you can use in-wall and ceiling speakers and/or Sonos One SL's which again requires at least one Sonos Amp.
  3. You could also go Sonos traditional HT using a Beam, Playbar, Playbase and Sonos One SL's as surrounds.
  4. BTW a Sonos sub can be incorporated with any of the above options. However a Sonos sub cannot be bonded to multiple rooms/zones.
My suggestion is to diagram your floor plan and decide based upon seating/listening where you might want to place speakers and don't forget to include any TV's for HT. You can post the diagram in this forum for us to review. We'll gladly give you our recommendations.

In the end it may be that you need to consult a professional installer if you lean more toward the Architectural platform.

Cheers!