Answered

New Amp will it work with my set up?

• 20 January 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge
I need some expert advice from the users here. I currently have Sonos through out the house but within my man-room I have my connect hooked up to my record player and it powers the speakers in there. I have a play bar, a sub and I have 2 Sonon 1's in this room.

Talking to the Sonos people online they suggested I get an Amp to power my TV which I’ve been trying to do and can’t with the Connect so I ordered one and it came the other day I cannot figure out how to hook this up correctly. And I’m not sure that it can be hooked up the way I need it.

I have a TV, Cox cable, DVD player and I have Apple TV. I have four wired speakers in the ceiling. I constantly, move back and forth between the Cable box and Apple TV.

So hooking things up through the Sonos Amp through the HDMI which only has one connection. I can run the tv through it but will only get the screen saver, or I can run the cable box through it but get no TV. Talking to the Sonos people online they said it would be good if I got an AMP for each item, so like 5 Amps, " Not realistic". Maybe they just originally told me wrong and this won;t help me to replace my current Pioneer Multimedia center. I want to know, and I doing something wrong and s there a good way to hook this thing up or a way to run it through my Pioneer Amp and just push everything out from there into the app the Sonos amp or am I trying to do something they just can’t be done.

Sorry its so long winded, and Thanks
Darryl
icon

Best answer by jgatie 20 January 2019, 18:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

In order to connect the TV to the Amp via HDMI, the TV must support HDMI-ARC. Most newer TV's have an HDMI port specifically labeled 'HDMI-ARC'. Connect the Amp to this, and then connect all other sources via the other HDMI ports. If your TV does not support HDMI-ARC, you will need to order one of these from Sonos:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/optical-audio-adaptor.html

That will allow connection via the optical out on the TV.
Badge
Thanks, When you say "and then connect all other sources via the other HDMI ports" are you talking back into the Pioneer Multimedia receiver? And that reads for the Beam not AMP, I have a Playbar
No, the receiver would not be used.
Badge
Yes, that's the issue I have. I have all these externals that I need to run through something. Can't find help online. If I only have 1 HDMI in the Amp where do the rest live. Just want to know if it's possible and how.
Badge
Your cable box, DVD player, and Apple TV need to be connected to the HDMI inputs on your television. You would use the TV to switch between each input. If you don't have enough inputs on the TV, you'll need to get an HDMI switch, or you may be able to use your existing receiver as a switch.

The Sonos Amp should be connected to the television's HDMI ARC input, which will allow the TV to transmit the audio from the other connected devices to the Amp. This will just look like a regular HDMI input, but it will be labeled "HDMI ARC" by the connection. If your TV doesn't have an HDMI ARC input then you have two options: use an optical connection from the TV to the Amp if your TV has one, or use an analog audio connection. If you want to use the optical connection, you'll need to purchase an HDMI-to-optical adapter from the Sonos website as mentioned earlier.

Hopefully that helps! Fundamentally, what you need to consider is that the HDMI connection on the Amp is for audio only; it's designed to take the ARC (Audio Return Channel) signal from the TV and nothing else. Try not to think of the Amp as a replacement for an A/V receiver, because it just doesn't have the same functionality.
Badge
Thanks both for helping me get my mind straight on this I was over thinking the AMP. I have ordered a cable from Sonos, and currently have sources running without sound through my TV. Another ?, I have a connect in this room from my record player, attached to Playbar, Sub and 2 play1's , but when I try and create a new room and use those speakers they are removed my my old room and the record player. When I move back and firth I have to recreate and reassign.

Thanks
Badge
I don't have a Connect, but I don't think you should need to move speakers from one room to another within the Sonos app to stream music to them from a Connect. If it works anything like it does with the Amp, you should be able to just go to the "Browse" screen in the Sonos app and select the "Line-In" source at the bottom of the list, then pick which room(s) to play to.

Now, if you're trying to stream to just some of the speakers in a surround setup and not all of them (like just the Play:1 speakers and not the Playbar), then I believe that's not possible without breaking up the surround setup and creating a new room within the app, just as you have been doing.
Badge
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Still nothing working but working with Sonos people.