New Amp or Sub ???

• 26 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I am currently deciding whether to upgrade my current connect:amp to the new Amp or buy a sub instead. In my living room I currently have the following setup :

Music :-
Sonos Connect:Amp
Mission QX-2 speakers
Pro-Ject debut carbon Turntable

Movies / TV :-
Sonos Beam
Play:1 x 2 as surround speakers

I am trying to decide if it makes more sense to upgrade to the new amp or get the sub to make a 5.1 system. I have worked out two options

Option 1 : Purchase the sub and leave everything as it is. The advantage of the sub for me is that as it is wireless I can hide it pretty much anywhere in the room.

Option 2 : Upgrade the amp. If this was the case I would use it also for my home theatre and get rid of the beam and use my current hifi speakers for front left and right channel. It would however mean that I need to re-arrange the room slightly and bring the hifi speakers into a more prominent position next to the tv (significant wife convincing needed). It would also mean that at a later date I could probably purchase a standard subwoofer to use with the new amp (cheaper option than the Sonos sub).

Option 2 is obviously cheaper as the new amp would be pretty much paid for from the money I get selling the Beam and connect:amp. However, one thing that is putting me of option 2 is that I might find it weird if TV sound wasn't coming from the centre of the screen. Also, with the new amp I will have no option to tune the surround sound with Trueplay. This is a bit of a negative for me, as in the past when I had an AV amp and speakers I was always able to tune the surround sound using a microphone. The same is obviously the case with my beam and play 1 setup.

I have never listened to a Sonos sub and don't know how much improvement it will bring to the beam. It would be interesting to hear from people who use the Sonos sub or the new amp for home cinema.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have never listened to a Sonos sub and don't know how much improvement it will bring to the beam. It would be interesting to hear from people who use the Sonos sub or the new amp for home cinema.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Beam and Sub in a 3.1 setup and think the sub adds a lot of base especially for a home cinema setup. I've had a 5.1 and regular soundbar+ sub setup before but nothing has been as good as adding the Sonos Sub to the Beam. It's a good bit of gear.

I have no intention of adding rears as the sub fills the room wonderfully.

cheers
Userlevel 7
Hi Marc_51

I'd get the Sonos sub as it will greatly improve your listening experience with Beam and Surrounds. You'll maintain the center focus of sound coming from the TV screen. A phamtom center channel created with Sonos Amp and speakers is not the same as seemingly anchored dialogue. Also, you won't have to bother with trying to convince your wife on both the equipment change and money spent 😉 Read my take on the Beam and Sonos sub at the link: https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/beam-vs-playbar-playbase-my-opinion-6814520

Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thanks for the feedback. Option 2 would probably be the cheaper version all things considered but I am not sure how I would get on with a phantom centre channel. I think in order to avoid having to move the living room around, and have the Mission’s right next to the tv, the money on the sub is probably well spend. It will also save a lot of earache as I can hide the sub behind the armchair in the corner.

Will probably try and wait until the next price reduction and save some money, but I am not a very patient man ?.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I say sub - and you can move it back and forth between rooms as you please (it really adds to the Beam)
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Thanks all. I ordered the sub today and it should be with me tomorrow. Need to pick some good films to watch now to try it out.