Need help with new system

• 13 February 2019
  • 5 replies

First, I apologize for asking something that has probably already been asked a million times. I am interested in getting a Sonos system for whole home sound, using the round in-ceiling speakers. I assume those are wired? I have an open floor plan, but if I have 4 in the living, 2 in the kitchen, 2 in the dining and maybe 2 in the hallway, how do i manage the volume on each set of speakers? Since it's an open plan, most likely always the same music. But if I add two to the laundry room, I can chose different sound for those, correct? I'm going to do the home theater later. This first plan is to simply have music through the house, and use the ceiling speakers. What the heck do I need to buy to stream music through these speakers? I got a little lost on the various components and amps needed and don't really want to ask the guy at Best Buy.
Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
don't really want to ask the guy at Best Buy.

Good idea!

For the in-ceiling speakers, you will just need the Amp.
A Sonos Amp will drive one or two pairs of speakers rated at 8 Ohms, or a single pair of speakers rated at 4 Ohms or 6 Ohms. Each Amp gives you a zone, i.e. the ability to play a distinct stream of music. Those streams may be different, or you can play the same music on any grouping of zones, in perfect synch.
It looks like, from the ceiling speaker page on Sonos, that 3 pairs work per Amp. So if I roll with ceiling speakers, each zone can be up to 6 speakers (i assume). I'm also assuming that means the iport xpress keypad controls the volume of speakers per amp. So, I could do 2 Amps with up to 3 pairs each, and 1 keypad per Amp. Is that all I need to get started? Or is there another component? I know that I can add a device for my turntable and then later add a home theater setup. Thanks
That is referring to the Sonance architectural speakers developed for Sonos. For the general position read here

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/265?language=en_US
Got it, looks like I'll go with 2 pairs of the ceiling speakers, per amp. Thanks