Question

Need Help

• 14 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Looking for assistance please.

I just purchased a 2 level residence with built-in ceiling speakers on the main floor - 2 in living room; 2 in master suite; and speakers wired for outside on the back deck. All the speaker wires all come together in one closet in my living room near an electrical plug. I am looking at playing music in the upstairs only - I will not have a TV upstairs and my only TV will be in the basement (home is very open concept so I’m looking to minimize noise upstairs especially with company visiting etc). 

I would like to add in wall speakers to an office in the basement; and in ceiling speakers in another room in the basement; also, I purchased an 85” Samsung Q70T Ultra HD TV that has Alexa built in and works with Apple Air play. 

What do I need to make this work?

For upstairs, I was thinking I need one or perhaps two amps and then a set of outdoor speakers that I will remove prior to our harsh and very cold Canadian winters (the deck is covered so the speakers won’t receive direct moisture). 

For the basement, I was thinking I need one set of in wall speakers, plus one set of ceiling speakers and one amp to run these speakers. These will be in the office and other room. 

For the TV, would just a sound bar be adequate? I spoke with a sales guy at the local electronics store and when I told him I was considering putting in ceiling speakers in the theatre area, he said I would be the first person in history to do so, as the sound would be coming from above as opposed to from the front, where the TV is. I am not opposed to just getting a sound bar for the TV, however do I need an AMP for it as well, or do I just plug it into the TV and it’s good to go? 

I appreciate any help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi @andrea_s.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed, and thorough post, and your expertise as well, I’d be more than glad to assist you.

First off, Amp can power two pairs of 8-ohm nominal passive speakers when wired in parallel, and three pairs of Sonos Architectural by Sonance wired in parallel.

You may also visit our website for more specific features of the Amp and support article for setting up guidelines.

You can use Amp As TV front speakers or As TV surround speakers.

If you are planning to get a soundbar, it is a direct connection to the TV and you don’t need an Amp for the setup unless you will use the Amp as surround speakers.

It will be helpful to check the TV requirements for Sonos for home theater speakers, and the Surround sound requirements as well.

I hope the above information helps, and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.