Need a TV to support my playbar dolby digital 5.1

• 19 March 2019
  • 4 replies

I have spend about 24 hours searching online for a TV compatible to support my playbar with dolby digital 5.1

Losing my mind!! Support sent me outdated list of TV then a list of vendors. I want to online purchase.

I like to get 65" or larger smart TV to use the dolby digital 5.1 surround sound.

Help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

jfkoch3,

Perhaps see this website, which shows some (but not all) TV's that support Dolby Digital 5.1 audio pass-through over HDMI/HDMI-ARC etc....

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

Some TVs can only pass 5.1 audio over a certain connection (either digital optical or HDMI ARC), and some can only pass through certain signal types (DTS or Dolby Digital), so make sure you have a TV that supports both the connection and the Dolby Digital 5.1 codec.

My own personal preference are the newer LG TV's, but the important thing is to do your own in-depth research to get the all features you need for a price you are willing to pay.
Thank you,

I saw listing. But do not see Dolby digital in the TV description. I see Dolby Digital plus...

So if a TV has Dolby Digital Plus it will work as Dolby digital with the play bar?

Like to click a Tv that says Dolby digital and buy it.
The link to the site I sent earlier, contains at least 170 reviews of Televisions from a variety of manufacturers. It’s not a definitive list.

You certainly need Dolby Digital 5.1 pass-through and output via the optical port for the PlayBar.

Dolby Digital Plus is not supported and neither is DTS by the Sonos Playbar, but that’s not to say those TV's might not also support DD5.1 audio output too.

So you could begin by a simple filter and research for DD 5,1 via optical types of TV ...and then read the reviews in depth to help you decide.

See sample (filtered search) screenshot attached. Please note you can add multiple filters to help reduce your results list.

Hope that assists.
jfkoch3,

See this link too...
Home Theatre and Television Megathread