Nebiew: Debating on buying the Sonos- few questions

Hi,
I just bought an LG OLED B7 65". I am debating with a few options. One fo them being the Sonos.
3 questions.
1. How do I play music from my phone ( not streaming apps like Sonos), but like music saved on my phone. Actually music saved on my phone, my laptop etc.
2. There is no Bluetooth as far as I know - so I cannot connect my Bose headphones or so to it via headphones. Any workarounds available so far?
3. Thinking about making a HT with PlayBar, Sub and 2 Play 3's for the rear. What would be a good one to add to it for center - the 1's?
4. Thinking about making a HT with PlayBar, Sub and 2 Play 3's for the rear and a Play 3 for the center. Is this an overkill?

Sorry for the multiple questions. Just trying to make an informed decisions.

Thanks in advance1

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
You would be better off with Bluetooth in my view. Sonos is much worse with the new Apps than it used to be. I have had so many issues in the last 2 years but not in the first 4 years if owning the equipment. They have stopped focusing on making good wireless speakers and no doubt have a new agenda. Bluetooth is far more flexible and you can play Youtube which you cannot on Sonos
You guys are awesome! Love this community. Thank you all for the answers
I’ve been reading a lot about these. I would have thought by now they would have updated their playbars with new hardware in 5 yrs. Basic Bluetooth and some of the functionality should just have been there natively
My main motivation for Sonos is to avoid clutter. Getting rid of my old ht- too many wires
The bose 300 spins bar seems to also be a strong competitor..
Good stuff to think about. Thanks again folks!
Userlevel 3
Badge
I can answer your first question - the rest I don't have experience with. You can play your own music via the Sonos app. When you first set up your Sonos system, the app will ask you about any playlists on your device. I don't remember the exact wording now - whether it asks your permission to access them on your device, or asks if you want to import them, but it was obvious when it came up on the screen. You just have to set this up once - if you update a playlist, say, on your laptop, and sync the new playlist to a mobile device, the new playlist will automatically be available on the mobile device the next time you open the Sonos app, without needing a separate update on the app.

You can access any of the music that's actually stored on the hard drive of your mobile device. If your laptop (for example) is open, and you've set up sharing with your mobile device, then you can also use the mobile device to play any of the tracks on the laptop, even if they haven't been downloaded to the mobile device. If the laptop was off, though, you'd only be able to play the tracks actually downloaded to the mobile device. There is also a laptop / desktop Sonos app on the Sonos site, and once downloaded, you can use this to play music directly from your laptop or desktop.

You can create a playlist in the Sonos app that mixes your own music and streamed music, but you can't save it in the app. You can save a playlist that you create in the app that consists completely of streamed content.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm happy with the way the app works myself, for both my own music library and streamed sources, and haven't had any major problems with it. I do have a very basic setup, however - I'm in a one level apartment, and most of the time I just group all the speakers together. How well someone likes the system might vary depending on what the person wants to do with it.
Badge +12
Hi,
I just bought an LG OLED B7 65". I am debating with a few options. One fo them being the Sonos.
3 questions.
1. How do I play music from my phone ( not streaming apps like Sonos), but like music saved on my phone. Actually music saved on my phone, my laptop etc.
2. There is no Bluetooth as far as I know - so I cannot connect my Bose headphones or so to it via headphones. Any workarounds available so far?
3. Thinking about making a HT with PlayBar, Sub and 2 Play 3's for the rear. What would be a good one to add to it for center - the 1's?
4. Thinking about making a HT with PlayBar, Sub and 2 Play 3's for the rear and a Play 3 for the center. Is this an overkill?

Sorry for the multiple questions. Just trying to make an informed decisions.

Thanks in advance1

Congrats on the lg oled. But right now there are some issues with sonos and lg. There are serveral thread regaring the two not playing nice right now. So i would do a search on lg sonos.

Questiom one. You can added a bluetooth recevier if you have a play5 or connect.
Question two. Not sure never tired
Question three. Dont need a center. The playbar is center and 2 side in one unit.
Question four to get 5.1 ht surroumd. All you need is playbar, 2 play 3 and the sub. And done
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
If you add a bluetooth received to line in it will not work properly with left and right speakers (this is a longstanding issue with many comments) and even if just a single speaker can develop problems. It is better to have a deicated blutooth speaker. You can take on holiday and don't need uninterrupted hi speed wifi to operate you speakers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
If this is your first sonos purchase and your primary use will be for tv viewing and looking for ability to also play music then i'll suggest you dont buy sonos and investigate other brands that are more flexible in their connection option and audio format support.
While sonos can do most of the things you are interested in some of them will be hacks or work around. Other brands support them natively.

Main advantage with sonos is wireless and ability to integrate with whole home audio.

For full disclosure, i have a sonos 5.1 setup with play 1s and the bar which i love but my main reasons are wireless tv audio and ability to seamlessly integrate with the rest of my sonos whole home audio and i have learnt to live with the limitations and just enjoy the awesome sound quality and lack of wires everywhere
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you get a play:5 you can add a bluettooth receiver if you want. There are no issues. I’m not sure what issues would be other than someone’s network having bandwidth issues (streaming inputs does require network to be functioning properly and if someone using WiFi only method instread of Sonos and their WiFi has issues they will show as issues with Sonos). All correctable.

I have a chromecast dongle on one of mine. Works great (but I never use it).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi hjayaku1

I've placed my answers to your questions below your's in BOLD.

Hi,
3 questions.

Install the Sonos App on the device of your choice (iOS, Android, PC or Mac) and setup your Sonos speakers. Once done open the Sonos App and select Play Music on This Device

You would need either a Play 5 or Connect with Line-in and add a BT dongle

You cannot add a "Center Speaker" as the Playbar or Playbase simulates all front speakers (L/C/R). Sound reproduction across the front would be managed in the same manner with any soundbar

See answer in 3 above

I hope this helps. Cheers!
Badge +12
doubt sonos has bluetooth in the plans, not what they are marketed for. Also bluetooth audio has improved, but you need to make sure that both devices support aptc codex. If not the bluetooth will work on SBC codec. But you also need to remember when you stream over bluetooth, you are adding an extra codex to the stream chain. So there is some crunching of the music.

This is partly why high end gamers still use wired headsets, it offer higher speeds vs bluetooth. And higher fidelity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You guys are awesome! Love this community. Thank you all for the answers
I’ve been reading a lot about these. I would have thought by now they would have updated their playbars with new hardware in 5 yrs. Basic Bluetooth and some of the functionality should just have been there natively
My main motivation for Sonos is to avoid clutter. Getting rid of my old ht- too many wires
The bose 300 spins bar seems to also be a strong competitor..
Good stuff to think about. Thanks again folks!

The Bose is another option. My concern would be the glass top which would show a reflection of the screen that could be distracting. However after a while you'd probably block it out visually. I assume Bose did their research on that aspect of the viewing expereince. :?

Cheers!