Answered

Multiple Sources witu Sonos

• 10 July 2019
  • 8 replies

So, I'm seriously considering diving in to the world of Sonos, but I'm interested in how to go about hooking up the equipment I already have.

What I have as sources currently:

1. Marantz CD6006 CD Player
  2. Audio-Technica AT-LP5 with phono pre-amp built in
These are both currently connected to a Marantz NR1608 integrated amplifier/receiver.

I want to be able to play both CD's and vinyl through the Sonos system. I'm thinking of starting with 2 Play:5 speakers as my main living room experience, and a couple of Play:1's in some of the other rooms, maybe a Beam hooked up to the TV in the master bedroom as well. I do use streaming services (Spotify, Rhapsody, Slacker, etc.) but I do love the experience of physical media 🤓 and we have a lot of CDs and vinyl.

How do I hook up the CD player and the vinyl turntable? I'd like to do it as simply as possible, so if that means removing the Marantz NR1608 amplifier from the setup I'm okay to do that, I can "donate" it to one of my kids. I thought about using the Sonos AMP, but that only appears to have one analogue input and no optical input. Does that mean something like the Sonos Connect also needs to be in there?

So, how do people handle this sort of setup? It strikes me that it's not an unusual configuration, at least I'm not trying to hook up other sources like Mini Disk, cassette or 8 Track 😎 I'm a complete neophyte at all of this, so any hints and tips from the collective would be hugely appreciated!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 10 July 2019, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Sonos units with a single analog line-in are the Play:5, Amp, Connect and the (discontinued) Connect:Amp. For each analog source, you would need a Sonos with a line-in, or utilize some type of analog audio switch going into one Sonos Line-in.
Sonos units with a single analog line-in are the Play:5, Amp, Connect and the (discontinued) Connect:Amp. For each analog source, you would need a Sonos with a line-in, or utilize some type of analog audio switch going into one Sonos Line-in.

Thanks - that's kind of the line I was going down, which is a pity, I was really hoping there'd be some magic that wouldn't need me to insert a switch or anything like that in to the equation and introduce potential source degradation, or to allow me to connect the CD player digitally. Ho hum. Okay, time to start looking at good switches, if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
You should be able to use the analog input and an optical to HDMI adapter on the new Sonos Amp. I'm assuming your CD player has an optical output. Then you'd do the switching in the Sonos app.
You should be able to use the analog input and an optical to HDMI adapter on the new Sonos Amp. I'm assuming your CD player has an optical output. Then you'd do the switching in the Sonos app.

Yes, the CD Player has an optical out, but I wasn't sure if the optical to HDMI adapter would work in this scenario with the Amp - on the Accessories page it says that the adapter is only for the Beam, so that's great news if it works with the Amp as well! Thank you 😍
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

You should be able to use the analog input and an optical to HDMI adapter on the new Sonos Amp. I'm assuming your CD player has an optical output. Then you'd do the switching in the Sonos app.Yes, the CD Player has an optical out, but I wasn't sure if the optical to HDMI adapter would work in this scenario with the Amp - on the Accessories page it says that the adapter is only for the Beam, so that's great news if it works with the Amp as well! Thank you 😍

It should work just the same as it does on the Beam. The input is identical and I don't know why Sonos would block the use of the adapter.
The adapter comes with the Beam but is a separate purchase for the Amp. I agree that using the adapter should work as long as the CD player is putting out PCM stereo or DD.
The adapter comes with the Beam but is a separate purchase for the Amp. I agree that using the adapter should work as long as the CD player is putting out PCM stereo or DD.

It's PCM, so sounds like we should be good to go! Thank you!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Amy thought of leaving your existing set up as is and just introducing a connect to your existing amp to transfer the CD player and TT stream into your Sonos ecosystem