Multiple locations and users

• 14 February 2019
  • 8 replies

We have a commercial multi-studio environment. There are a total of 15 studios (each 120sq/ft avg) which are leased independently with a common corridor and common wifi.
Looking to see if a Sonos set-up in each room with each lessee would work?...So, 2 speakers per studio separately controlled

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Reset your controller after each setup, and setup a new system for every lessee.

Their controller (phone/computer) can then connect to and control their speakers. They just need to choose "connect to an existing system" and press the buttons on their speaker when the app asks for it.
Perfect thank you,...in a space this size, what is your thought on speaker type and quantity
Badge
Perfect thank you,...in a space this size, what is your thought on speaker type and quantity

Well 120 sq ft is only 10' by 12' or so, so a play 5 pair would be overkill. Presumably, a pair of Play 1s in each room would suffice, e.g. https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/2-room-music-system-one.html

Are you sure multiple independent users can connect exclusively to their own speakers in their own room whilst on the same wifi though? What you don't want is your lessee in room 1 being able to control (deliberately or otherwise) what is going on in room 2 etc. I'd definitely check that.
Are you sure multiple independent users can connect exclusively to their own speakers in their own room whilst on the same wifi though? What you don't want is your lessee in room 1 being able to control (deliberately or otherwise) what is going on in room 2 etc. I'd definitely check that.I think you are right to suggest caution here @HadenUK. There would need to be a separate Sonos account and password for each studio, not just a separate system. Without separate accounts, the controllers would start out defaulting to the right system, but it would be possible to accidentally or deliberately connect to a different studio's speakers.

I THINK setting up separate accounts would prevent this, but only because of the recently introduced requirement to enter account details when connecting a controller for the first tme.

I suspect that once people have become friends, shared passwords etc, it will still end up chaotic.
Badge
I think you are right to suggest caution here @HadenUK. There would need to be a separate Sonos account and password for each studio, not just a separate system. Without separate accounts, the controllers would start out defaulting to the right system, but it would be possible to accidentally or deliberately connect to a different studio's speakers.

I THINK setting up separate accounts would prevent this, but only because of the recently introduced requirement to enter account details when connecting a controller for the first tme.

I suspect that once people have become friends, shared passwords etc, it will still end up chaotic.

Can you have completely different Sonos accounts on the same Wifi at all though?
You can setup different accounts, but it gets really complicated with that many. And you would not be able to do multiroom, which is what Sonos is really built for. Blutooth speakers seem like a much better option in this case. You can get pretty good quality, even in stereo pairs these days, allowing each studio owner to play the music of there choice off their phone or tablet.
Can you have completely different Sonos accounts on the same Wifi at all though?Yes, the systems would have different 'Household IDs'. And the accounts are really only relevant as a way of controlling access.

Bluetooth speakers seem like a much better option in this case. Agreed. Sonos just isn't designed for this scenario, hence my prediction of chaos..
You can setup different accounts, but it gets really complicated with that many. And you would not be able to do multiroom, which is what Sonos is really built for. Blutooth speakers seem like a much better option in this case. You can get pretty good quality, even in stereo pairs these days, allowing each studio owner to play the music of there choice off their phone or tablet.

We did look at the Bluetooth option, but hoping to avoid music cutout each time phone rings, text is received or if they step out of the room to answer call...we will not have the need for mutiroom use