Most Compatible TV with sonos Beam/beam2

• 26 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a simple question: I would like to know which TV is best for our sonos system. I have a TCL, who has problems with lip sync. And it's time to get a new tv. I would really like to get some opinions based on your usage please? My system is simple, Sonos Beam gen 1, pair of Sonos play 1. And I'm going to buy a mini Sub. Possibly I will sell the beam, to get a Beam gen. 2 with Dolby Atmos, so it would be nice to have a TV with Atmos too. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Have you perhaps tried the TCL TV/Beam setup using the TV Optical port and Optical adapter (supplied with the Beam)?

With some older TV’s you may occasionally find directing the audio out via its optical port ‘might’ sometimes give better lip-sync results compared to the HDMI-ARC connection.. Has to be worth a try, nothing ventured etc.

My preference/recommendation is the LG brand for TV’s - I have their older C9 OLED and love it. Their TV’s have audio ‘pass-through’ and I’m not seeing any lip-sync issues (Sonos Arc) even though it’s their older 2019 model.

I’ve got a pair of Vizios with the older ARC, not eARC solution, which work fine, although on one of them, rather than buying a new TV just to get eARC, I’ve purchased a HD Fury Arcana to serve audio. Much less expensive than replacing the entire screen. 

I’d stick with one of the big three, generally speaking, Sony, LG or Samsung, but since several models have their own issues, there’s not a blanket answer, unfortunately. I would tend to stay away from Phillips or TCL, in general, although with the external audio device that’s less of an issue, and I’d be focused more on video quality than audio quality. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you perhaps tried the TCL TV/Beam setup using the TV Optical port and Optical adapter (supplied with the Beam)?

With some older TV’s you may occasionally find directing the audio out via its optical port ‘might’ sometimes give better lip-sync results compared to the HDMI-ARC connection.. Has to be worth a try, nothing ventured etc.

My preference/recommendation is the LG brand for TV’s - I have their older C9 OLED and love it. Their TV’s have audio ‘pass-through’ and I’m not seeing any lip-sync issues (Sonos Arc) even though it’s their older 2019 model.

Thanks for your reply. I tried the optical with no success. im using a HDMI Splitter on my Apple TV 4K. so one cable to TV, and one cable to beam. using this I didn't get lip sync issues anymore.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve got a pair of Vizios with the older ARC, not eARC solution, which work fine, although on one of them, rather than buying a new TV just to get eARC, I’ve purchased a HD Fury Arcana to serve audio. Much less expensive than replacing the entire screen. 

I’d stick with one of the big three, generally speaking, Sony, LG or Samsung, but since several models have their own issues, there’s not a blanket answer, unfortunately. I would tend to stay away from Phillips or TCL, in general, although with the external audio device that’s less of an issue, and I’d be focused more on video quality than audio quality. 

hey Bruce thanks for your reply, and for share your personal experience. very useful 

I use a Beam Gen. 2 with my bedroom TV.  It’s a decent 55” Toshiba Fire TV model.  Nothing special, but it works just fine with the Beam via eARC.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0924WSBXH/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c2_x_21_i?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-top-1&pf_rd_r=4QYWRTVVRZNF5N89PVMX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=5177472d-8c37-4b82-a5ad-4a6f1c9be033&pf_rd_i=18067453011&th=1