Question

mixing speakers

• 26 December 2019
  • 3 replies

I’ve recently brought an Amazon Alexa hoping to link it to my Sonos system. I have the Sonos 1 (Gen 1) but won’t connect as speakers aren’t  compatible.

I’m wondering if I buy a generation 2 speaker, will it still link to the generation 1 and the Amazon Alexa?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not sure what you are asking.  Do you wish to group Sonos speakers and Amazon Echos together to play the same music in sync?  If so, this is not possible.  You can sync Sonos devices with other Sonos devices, and Echo devices with other Echo devices, but not Sonos and Echos.

I want to link them together, not to play music at the same time. The Generation 2 Sonos speaker has amazon Alexa right? 
Because right now I have the Generation 1, but if I replace one of the speakers with a Generation 2 - will the generation 1 link to the generation 2?

I want to link them together, not to play music at the same time. The Generation 2 Sonos speaker has amazon Alexa right? 
Because right now I have the Generation 1, but if I replace one of the speakers with a Generation 2 - will the generation 1 link to the generation 2?

By “link them together” do you mean you wish to use them as a stereo pair?  If so, yes you can.  You can pair any “One” models (Gen 1, Gen 2, SL) with any other “One” model.  Same if used for surrounds.

Note:  Sonos names are confusing. By “Sonos 1”, do you mean the One or the Play:1?  The Play:1 cannot be paired with a One of any type. 

By the way, this is a Play:1 (Left) and a One (Right):