Answered

Mixing speaker products

• 1 November 2016
  • 3 replies

We currently have a Sonos Connect that is connected to our paging system speakers, we have a couple of areas that don't have speakers setup and we would like to place individual Sonos 1's or the like in these areas, but have them grouped with the current third party speakers. Is this possible with the Connect? I'm not concerned about these new Sonos speakers working with the paging announcements, just whether the Connect can have both third party and Sonos devices controlled through it, playing the same music, at the same time. Hopefully that makes sense. Can anyone confirm this for me before I attempt it?
icon

Best answer by ratty 1 November 2016, 22:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes, you can group the CONNECT with PLAY:1s, and they will play in sync at their own outputs. However if your paging system contains any form of digital processing it might delay the sound through its speakers. This would create an echo effect if both the paging system and PLAY units can be heard at the same time.

This is an issue which afflicts some users who link a CONNECT with certain AV Receivers. If the paging system is analog or has a 'direct' mode with minimal delay the problem shouldn't arise.

It's taken as read that the PLAY:1s will also require a network connection, wired or wireless.
Yes. You can group any Sonos device with any other.
Thanks so much to both of you! That clears it right up for me.