Question

Mixed usage room with Amp, Sub and Arc?

• 22 August 2020
  • 3 replies

I am upgrading my TV, and planning to get a Sonos Arc. This will free up some old Dali LCR speakers that I am hoping to use with an Amp in the other end of the living room. I really like the sound of the Dali speakers, but they do need a some low frequency assistance for music.

Since the Sub can only be in one Sonos “room” I was thinking that the whole living room could be a single sonos room (e.g. an Arc,Sub and an Amp). That will definitely work nicely for music (which should just play from all of the units). However, when watching TV, the Amp should *not* be playing (i don’t want TV sounds coming from my far left). Is such a setup achievable?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ziphnor.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to provide the following options so you can have a better understanding of how each works and choose the best situation that may fit your needs.

2nd option is to set up Sonos Amp as a separate room and then group them on the Sonos app when you want to listen to music and ungroup when you want to watch TV.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

2nd option is to set up Sonos Amp as a separate room and then group them on the Sonos app when you want to listen to music and ungroup when you want to watch TV.

I don’t see how a 5.1 surround setup helps, as the Amp speakers will be situated entirely to the left of someone sitting in front of the TV and not in the back. Therefore the Amp should not play the TV sound at all.

The second solution is kind of workable i guess, but i don’t like to have to manually group and ungroup. 

It is too bad the Sub doesn’t support some kind of “sharing” with priority (e.g. be in both “rooms” with priority on following the “TV room”).

I guess i will drop the Sub, and just use the Arc standalone, and then add a small cheap regular subwoofer to the Amp.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ziphnor.

Thanks for the immediate response.

Currently, the particular flexibility of the Sonos Sub is to be bonded to one particular set up only via add sub on the Sonos app. We do not yet have the option to switch from one Sonos master speaker to another with a flick of a switch on the Sonos app. However, I would be more than happy to send this to our engineering team as a feature request. Just to set your expectation, I would suggest subscribing to this thread and our announcement topic for any feature release or updates.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,