Question

Maybe add a boost to existing Sonosnet?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, we have a Connect wired with ethernet cable (so running Sonosnet).  We also have a Play5 (original) connected to the Sonosnet wifi.  The Play5 is on a different floor and a couple rooms away, so a pretty good distance from the Connect.

The Play5 (primarily used by my wife) has pretty frequent dropouts when using Spotify.  It’s been doing this for several months.  I’d like to fix this for her, as I’ve noticed that she is using the Play5 less and less because of this.

Scenario 1:

Do you think adding a Boost would help, located somewhere between the Connect and Play5, but not hardwired with ethernet cable?

Scenario 2:

I could also add a Boost and hardwire it with ethernet cable, then position it a bit closer to the Play5 (in the basement, several feet below the Play5).  In this case, I would like have a 10/100 network switch between my router and the Boost (not sure if that matters).  Of course, this would require running some ethernet cable, but is doable.  I don’t have a clean way to run cable directly to the Play5.

For Scenario 2, I would still want to keep my Connect hardwired.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Adam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

@adam2434 Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here in the Sonos Community. I would advise that you call in for phone agent support and continue troubleshooting with them making real-time changes. I have looked at your case notes and see that we do not have your full network topology and in diagnostic reports that full re-booting has not been completed.

When calling please have your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Your diagnostic reports indicate a possible second router and/or extenders no your network. There was also be an issue with the Ethernet wire(s) being used to wire Sonos to the network.

Lastly, before you call in please follow these steps after you have gathered your network topology:

1. Swap out the Ethernet wire being used to connect any Sonos product to the network router and not to any access point/beacon/pod/extender.
  2. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  3. As they are powering on then power off/on your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no lights.
  4. As they are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.

When you are reconnected to your Sonos system then test the music playback for 30 minutes. You can reply here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number. If you are still running into issues I will add our notes to your case so that they will be available to the phone agent.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

John G,

I have called Sonos multiple times over the last week.

I only have 1 router and no extender(s).

Over the past 2 weeks, I have used Sonosnet with and without a Boost, no Sonosnet with the Play5 connected to my router’s wifi, and now a direct ethernet cable from my router to the Play5.

Spotify has skips/pauses on the Play5 in every case.

Qobuz at about 3X the bitrate does not have skips/pauses on the Play5, so my network and ethernet cable are not the issue.

Also, I can use Spotify on many other non-Sonos wired and wireless devices throughout the house without issues.

This seems to be an issue with Spotify on Sonos.

@adam2434 Thank you for the follow up and I hear where your are coming from with the troubleshooting steps taken here and with the phone agents already. Your diagnostic report is showing us more than I can gather/confirm from your case notes or steps tried here in the Community. You will want to call in for agent support. Before you do that I would recommend you follow the steps provided and let us know the results as I can add those results to your case notes for our agents. I can then follow up to you in a DM with the case number to reference.

@adam2434 Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here in the Sonos Community. I would advise that you call in for phone agent support and continue troubleshooting with them making real-time changes. I have looked at your case notes and see that we do not have your full network topology and in diagnostic reports that full re-booting has not been completed.

When calling please have your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Your diagnostic reports indicate a possible second router and/or extenders no your network. There was also be an issue with the Ethernet wire(s) being used to wire Sonos to the network.

Lastly, before you call in please follow these steps after you have gathered your network topology:

1. Swap out the Ethernet wire being used to connect any Sonos product to the network router and not to any access point/beacon/pod/extender.
  2. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  3. As they are powering on then power off/on your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no lights.
  4. As they are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.

When you are reconnected to your Sonos system then test the music playback for 30 minutes. You can reply here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number. If you are still running into issues I will add our notes to your case so that they will be available to the phone agent.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

John G,

Thanks for the reply.

If we don’t get dropouts with Qobuz, we can rule-out network issues, right?

Or, are there network issues that could affect Spotify, but not Qobuz?

If we do get a dropout with Qobuz, I’ll submit a diagnostic, call Sonos, and go from there.

@adam2434 You are welcome. We need to take it one step at a time. Feel free to reply here with your network topology, testing results and new diagnostic report number or call in to our agents with that information as they can do real-time testing results with you on the call.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Since my last post almost 4 weeks ago, I have removed the Play5 and placed a Riva Festival in the exact location in the kitchen.  It is simply connected to wifi, as it does not have an ethernet port.

My wife has reported zero Spotify skips or dropouts with the Riva Festival in almost 4 weeks.

The Play5 had regular skips and dropouts with Spotify in about every configuration possible:

• On Sonosnet with an ethernet hardwired Connect.
  • On Sonosnet with an ethernet hardwired Boost a few feet from the Play5.
  • Without Sonosnet connected to router’s wifi.
  • Without Sonosnet ethernet hardwired directly to my router.

I can only conclude that the Play5 (or maybe Sonos in general) has connectivity issues with Spotify, at least in our case.

If we had some type of network issue, it would show up on the Riva Festival and the other streaming devices we have throughout the house.

I’d like to be able to use the Play5, but have nothing left to try to fix the Spotify issues.  It’s a $500 doorstop at this point, as the only source my wife uses is Spotify.