Question

Maybe add a boost to existing Sonosnet?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ratty has been graciously helping with Boost configuration testing, but I am still having Spotify dropouts on the Play5.

Here are the 2 most recent diagnostics numbers from earlier today.

I can try moving the Play5 into the same room as the Connect.  If the Play5 does not have dropouts, then Sonosnet strength would seem to be the issue, right?

Well, it would suggest that something is affecting the Play:5 signal in its normal location. It could be related to signal strength owing to distance, attenuation, reflections, slow fade, etc. It could be interference, from local or more distant sources, continuous or intermittent. 

A quick thought: does your wife make use of Bluetooth when she’s listening to the Play:5? This can sometimes be aggressive towards SonosNet/WiFi.

If I were to use my router wifi for the Play5, I can continue to use the Connect on ethernet cable, if I disable its wifi, right?  I believe this would block Sonosnet creation.

Yes, you can do that. It’s ‘forced mixed mode’. The Connect would show WM:0 in About My System; and the Play:1 would be WM:1. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ratty, I’ll check with my wife regarding Bluetooth.  I know that she would not be actively using it for anything, but it’s possible that it is always enabled on her phone (if that matters).

A Bluetooth that was simply on but not busy shouldn’t have that much effect. It might be worth asking her to turn off the BT as an experiment some time. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just checked - her BT is always off.

@adam2434 Thank you for the follow up and I hear where your are coming from with the troubleshooting steps taken here and with the phone agents already. Your diagnostic report is showing us more than I can gather/confirm from your case notes or steps tried here in the Community. You will want to call in for agent support. Before you do that I would recommend you follow the steps provided and let us know the results as I can add those results to your case notes for our agents. I can then follow up to you in a DM with the case number to reference.

@adam2434 Thank you for bringing your concerns to us here in the Sonos Community. I would advise that you call in for phone agent support and continue troubleshooting with them making real-time changes. I have looked at your case notes and see that we do not have your full network topology and in diagnostic reports that full re-booting has not been completed.

When calling please have your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). Your diagnostic reports indicate a possible second router and/or extenders no your network. There was also be an issue with the Ethernet wire(s) being used to wire Sonos to the network.

Lastly, before you call in please follow these steps after you have gathered your network topology:

1. Swap out the Ethernet wire being used to connect any Sonos product to the network router and not to any access point/beacon/pod/extender.
  2. Power off/on your modem/router(s)/extender(s)/access point(s) for 30 seconds with no lights.
  3. As they are powering on then power off/on your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no lights.
  4. As they are powering on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app.

When you are reconnected to your Sonos system then test the music playback for 30 minutes. You can reply here with the testing results and a new diagnostic report number. If you are still running into issues I will add our notes to your case so that they will be available to the phone agent.