Question

Maybe add a boost to existing Sonosnet?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Nothing amiss in the matrix. Pretty decent signal strength. A Boost introduced between the Connect and Play:5 would do nothing. It would be ignored. 

The matrix is however a snapshot, and wireless conditions -- especially interference --  can of course vary. 

I would suspect an external problem with Spotify. As suggested, try an alternative source.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

FYI, my wife reported a Spotify skip on the Play5, I submitted a diagnostic, then called Sonos a few minutes ago.

The rep said the Play5 was getting a weak signal and that we need a Boost or to install a whole new mesh network (I chuckled at that).

The Play 5 worked without issues for years in the same spot on Sonosnet, so not sure why it’s getting a weak signal recently.

Also, I have no idea how to read the matrix numbers above...good, bad, ugly?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

There are intermittent reports of trouble with Spotify. See if the problem recurs with Radio Paradise, which streams at the same raw bitrate. If that’s okay, then it suggests a local problem. If not, an issue with Spotify.

As another data point, go to http://IP_address_of_Connect:1400/support/review (get the IP from About My System) and screenshot the Network Matrix.

Here is the screenshot.

There are intermittent reports of trouble with Spotify. See if the problem recurs with Radio Paradise, which streams at the same raw bitrate. If that’s okay, then it suggests a local problem. If not, an issue with Spotify.

As another data point, go to http://IP_address_of_Connect:1400/support/review (get the IP from About My System) and screenshot the Network Matrix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks, for the input.

Figured I can get a Boost from Crutchfield and return it within 60 days if it does not fix the issue.

Yeah, I’ll see if my wife is willing to submit a diagnostic, or at least tell me when she has a dropout, so I can submit one.  :relaxed:

Scenario 1: it might, the BOOST would act as an extender for the SonosNet radio signal, and not for your normal Wi-Fi signal.

Scenario 2: I like this option better. 

How certain are you that this is a wireless distance issue with SonosNet? I’d be awfully tempted to recreate a dropout, and then submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it, on the offhand chance it isn’t a SonosNet distance issue, but something else, like more simple wifi interference, or even perhaps a duplicate IP address issue.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.