Love to detail my car in the garage, Play One or Play 5 in stereo

• 15 November 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
I just bought a new car and I am enjoying my time in the garage more now. I usually bring in one of the Play 5 speakers and it sounds great. Would you mount two play one or two play 5 speakers in a standard two car garage for nice sound when I am detailing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi macmovieman

My garage is all concrete (3 car) with plaster board walls starting at about 3/4 quarters up on concrete siding at a total height of 9 feet. Plaster board is nailed to floor beams. It's what one would call a hard surface room. No exposed wood beams or rafters that might act as a sound absorbent.

If I were to permanently mount speakers I wouldn't go beyond Play 1's x 2...maybe Sonos One's x 2 to have Alexa. Alexa would come in handy when I'm on my back polishing the frame or maybe just changing the oil :8. Seriously, there'll come a time when your hands are full (or dirty) and can't get to your device to change the music or whatever...that's when you'll wish you had Alexa. So unless you're planning on moving into your garage I'd think the Sonos One's x 2 would be enough.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Two Play 5s is likely overkill and one 5 won't give you great stereo sound so the paired 1s or Ones are a better option. If you need more sound adding another pair is going to be easy too.
Badge +1
Great feedback and I thank you both for your insight. I will be order two Play One's with Alexa. I have two in my CA room leading into the backyard and they sound great so I will do the same in the garage too. Our whole house is set up for voice commands including our 5 ceiling fans, all lights, and even the sprinklers. Haha.

I will need to bring my electrician bank and have him add some power outlets up high in the corner of the garage for power. I have recently started using Airplay2 more so I have videos on playing Tidal music on weekends and it gives the house a nice vibe. Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Glad you like the ideas presented. Just a word of caution...if you are wanting Sonos speakers with native Alexa capability... they are called Sonos One and not Play One. Ordering the latter will get you a non-Alexa speaker. ?

Cheers!
Badge +1
Good point. We have about 13 Sonos speakers now and about half of them are the Alexa enabled Play Ones. Would hate to see someone make that mistake too.
Good point. We have about 13 Sonos speakers now and about half of them are the Alexa enabled Play Ones. Would hate to see someone make that mistake too.

The point was that there is no such thing as an Alexa enable Play:1. There are Play:1s and Sonos Ones (which are Alexa enabled).
Userlevel 7

Again my friend... I believe you meant to say Alexa enabled Sonos Ones. 🆒 LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Reading this I feel better about all the abuse I give the Sonos staff for their naming choices!

Play 1 = Older version, no mike, great surround or inexpensive option.
Sonos One = Newer version, mike, many unused features when used as a surround, more expensive.
Play One = Nope.
Sonos 1 = Nope.
mic, not mike.:D

nevermind....