Question

Looking to maybe buy Sonos

Badge
I'm looking to maybe buying a Sonos set up, not 100% convinced as yet though. looked at some in John Lewis Cribbs branch today, Of the ones I listened to I liked the sound and look of a pair of Play 1 speakers, plus for me they look far better than the Play 3 and 5. The 3's sounded good but expensive for pair, and I wasn't taken with the 5 at all.I have a very big selection of my music on my computer, which I mainly listen to on my ipod, or Bluetooth to a Denon sound base with the TV. Ipod is ok, but sound base not ideal. I also have a large collection of LP records, did think of maybe using them again with a turntable connected to a Sonos set up, that is till I saw the cost involved. I do not want apeakers all over the house, just one stereo pair is enough. if I was to buy a pair of play 1 speakers, to use as a stereo pair, would that be all I needed to start with. I would use Google Play, same as I use on my Nexus now, and believe this works with Sonos. Not interested in any way in paying for any streaming stuff like Soptify. We have fibre broadband and signal though house is very good , if later on I wanted to add a Sonos Sub, what else would I need to but to connect this up to the play 1's. Oh and eventually I will fit a NAS set up to the computer system, which may make things easier

34 replies

A pair of Sonos speakers will get you started. And it becomes an addiction... they'll soon multiply. An NAS will definitely make things easier. Just be aware that Sonos has a 65,000 track limitation. I've ripped thousands of albums over the years and have crushed the limitation, but it doesn't deter me. There are workarounds, but they aren't native to Sonos itself.
If you want to add a sub you will need to buy... the Sub. That's it, it connects directly to the play:1s, nothing else is required.
A pair of Sonos speakers will get you started. And it becomes an addiction... they'll soon multiply. An NAS will definitely make things easier..
I agree.
That said, if you are very sure that you will not want music outside just the one room, there are other solutions that are probably more value for money. Sonos offers the best wireless multi room capability in the market today, and you will be paying for that when you buy any Sonos kit.
On the other hand, a play 1 based solution isn't a lot more expensive than others, and will open the way to something that you may end up wanting once you see how easily that can be accomplished - good sounding music in more than just the one room.
While the LP thing isn't something that you will miss a lot if you aren't listening to the collection today, the best way to listen to computer contained music via Sonos is via a wired NAS - something as simple as a WD MyCloud - that you may want to look to do sooner than you plan.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Do it-buy sonos!
Badge
What are the play ones like placed on shelf or cabinet, I wanted to use a pair of Sonos stands but I have to agree with her indoors that they would look very out of place in the room. Wall mounted brackets are not an option either. I'm going to order a pair from John Lewis this weekend, and try them out for a few days, oh and unfortunately a sub is no longer in the frame, a bit to expensive.
The Play:1s are fine placed on a shelf or cabinet. Any speaker placed on top of a hollow space (e.g. a sideboard) can go a bit boomy, but Sonos' Trueplay tuning is pretty good at sorting out unfavourable positioning. But just go ahead and try - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Incidentally, my experience is that it's impossible to get any sense of what speakers will sound like at home from listening in John Lewis. The new Play:5 is fabulous - but 2 Play:1s sounds like a great option for you.
Badge
The Play:1s are fine placed on a shelf or cabinet. Any speaker placed on top of a hollow space (e.g. a sideboard) can go a bit boomy, but Sonos' Trueplay tuning is pretty good at sorting out unfavourable positioning. But just go ahead and try - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Incidentally, my experience is that it's impossible to get any sense of what speakers will sound like at home from listening in John Lewis. The new Play:5 is fabulous - but 2 Play:1s sounds like a great option for you.

I understand the boomy issue on cabinets, that's why I preferred stands, I'm going g to order a pair tomorrow, will give them a trial over the weekend. Yes you can't judge by a quick test in John Lewis store, I'm mainly looking at a pair of Play ones for a definite stereo image, afraid I'm a bit old school and just one speaker like a Play 5 doesn't grab me at all visually, plus I thought bass on 5 was overpowering on quick test I had. Although I could be proved wrong as I read Naim are releasing some cube type speaker which has excellent reviews , then again at £580 it should have. So let's see what weekend text of pair of Play ones will do
In addition to Trueplay, you might want to also try desktop stands that Flexson sells for the 1 units. Ideal for sideboard or desk placement by how they detach the units from the cabinet surface.
Badge
Ordered now, can pick up at Waitrose tomorrow, I have seen the desktop stands, will see if I like the speakers first, or maybe I should re-word that and see if she likes them !!. Only just noticed you can get a Sonos amplifier and conventional speaker bundle from Richer Sounds, like the look of that. More chance of getting approval for standard looking speakers. Roll on tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Might be cheaper to change SWMBO!
I would have thought that getting approval would be easiest for the very neat/discreet play 1 pair!

That apart, unless you have legacy conventional speakers on hand, I don't see much sense in a Connect Amp based set up now. For the price of a 1 pair, I doubt you can get one and for up to the price of a 5 pair, I can't think of any will deliver better sound quality. Or for the price of a 1 pair + Sub, any that will match that capability.
One of the good things about the Sonos system is how flexible it is - you can buy a Connect to feed a hi-fi or AV system, buy the powered version and add your preferred speakers, or one or more of the stand alone units - and then a sub!

They're not cheap, but when you look at the system as a whole, the build quality and Sonos support, I reckon that they still work out as very good VFM...
Hi @bluesman. I'd be interested to hear your impressions, so it would be great if you could post back when you have given them a try.

Just out of curiosity, what music source(s) are you using?
Badge
Picking them up in morning, to busy today.at the moment I have about 150 GB of music on computer, I listen to some on ipod classic via headphones and some on gplayer via headphones. Prob about 180 + LPs and several hundred singles boxed up and not touched for years. It's all very well having all the music on the PC, but I dont listen to enough of it. Main interests are Blues / Jazz / Folk / Classic Rock, Radio 6 music in fact anything except the RAP / POP /Radio 1 stuff.
Thanks for reply. You'll be able to set up the music that's stored on your PC as your Sonos music library, and stream radio. If you don't subscribe to a paid-for streaming service then you might consider having a 30-day free trial of one of them (there are usually a few available), to get the full Sonos experience. I look forward to hearing more.
Badge
Looking forward to trying it out, no I don't subscribe to any paid services at all, have no interest in doing that ever. I do use Tunein Radio a bit,as well as BBC 2,4,& 6. Like to listen to some of the internet Jazz and Blues stations. I'm keeping open mind on these speakers, this is all new to me, I only recently found out I could use conventional speakers with Sonos Amp and even connect a turntable, more money I know.
Others have commented on the pros and cons of that option, and as @Amun said, the choice and flexibility are the best thing. It's a personal decision.

If it ever becomes relevant for you, a turntable connected to a Connect:Amp needs to have a built in pre-amp, or you would also need to buy a suitable pre-amp as well. The Sonos units that have a line-in (Connect, Connect:Amp and Play:5) require line level input, not low level phono input.
Badge
Picked them up early this morning, fairly easy to set up, sound is good, does improve when used as stereo pair. Her indoors isn't so impressed, visually she doesn't like them, agrees they sound good, but as she doesn't have a smart phone, for her to use them is impossible, believe me when I tell you she detests smart phones. I bought her iPhone, and Nexus 6, daughter now has iPhone and I have Nexus 6. I'm determined to get this sorted though, I am sold on the Sonos system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Get her a tablet to use, my wife is permanently fixed to her Samsung galaxy. Starts up in seconds compared to 10mins for our old laptop.
Badge
I have a Nexus 7, not interested in it, OK with the desktop. She did try her sisters iPad for a bit, but soon gave it back. I'm keeping the Play ones for now though, I quite like the sound of them. They were not happy on top of cabinet,, much happier on book shelf. I am hoping she gets fed up of listening to my music and we can then sort something out. Thanks for all the help and advice
I'm glad you like the speakers. I assume you know there is a desktop Sonos controller? Not always the most convenient, but it's an option.

If a tablet is used only as a Sonos controller..... it's just a Sonos controller isn't it?

But good luck with the speakers and the domestic challenges they have created!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
With Samsung galaxy tablet and from within google play cast app, I can cast directly to any sonos speaker, so no need to use sonos software at all.
Badge
Well I have had the pair of P!ay Ones for a few weeks now,I very much like the Sonos idea, and am sticking with it but not the Play Ones, which have been sold to neighbour for allmost what I paid for them,. I've bought a used Rega 2 turntable in perfect condition, ordered a Sonos Amp, going to go with a pair of conventional Hi Fi speakers. Not exactly sure which yet, hope to get out to demo some this week and also buy a pre amp for turntable. Her indoors is now keen on being able to use our record collection again, same with me but I like that I will be able to also access my digital stuff. Yes it's going to cost me a bit, but we're both looking forward to getting it all set up. Getting our large record collection out of storage is something I thought I would ever do again.
To answer your question, a stereo pair of
play 1's will get you started just fine, although if you like bass the sub is a worthwhile investment with time.
I started with a home cinema set up
Playbar / sub / 2x play 1's but later switched the play 1's for 2 x Play 5's.
The play 1's now sit either side of my iMac and work just great as a stereo pair.
Go for it would be my advice, you won't regret it
Badge
I did think of the sub, but It was to expensive along, she wasn't to keen on the look of the Play Ones either. The Play Ones have gone now, and Sonos Amp here tomorrow. Just need to get a pre amp for turntablw and choose a pair of speakers. Will take my time with this though, have a budget of about £250 /£300. We are both happy with this, she gets to use the records and I have the digital collection as well, which I am in process of transferring to NAS drive.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings