Looking for a new system after my Sonos love affair is over

• 1 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

With Sonos not supporting anything other than the insecure/outdated SMB1, I feel like my love affair with Sonos has finally come to an end. After 10+ years, 10+ sonos players, and growing frustration I think Sonos doesn’t want my use-case as a user anymore.

What other brands of multi-room speakers out there are worth investigating that can:

• Play from my NAS (with up to date security credentials)

• Not have a 64k track limit

I don’t care about being able to talk to my speaker, I don’t care about streaming, I just want to listen to my personal music collection, on a network which is secure and not have to worry if I add another album that I will have to remove another from the library as it won’t fit.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Folks have been requesting SMB v2 since about 2006.

My suggested cheap solution is a simple NAS (any protocol) to SMB v1 gateway. it can run on any computer that has SMB v1 support. I use a Raspberry Pi 3 here and it shows near zero load serving four streams. A Zero W is adequate but a 3 gives you wired networking which I prefer. Setup is a few minutes, maybe a half hour for a novice.

SMB v1 Gateway

I am far from the track limit so I haven’t explored that but I see Plex offered as a solution. It looks like the new Pi 4 is a good option to host that and it will solve both the SMB and track limit issues.

A fair number of posts here or this is a start: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-plex-media-player/

I have tested the Gateway option and it works well but what I normally use is a Pi offering SMB v1 shares of an attached SSD drive. Tiny, silent and it happily sits for months on end ignored on my equipment shelf. 

SMB v1 NAS for Sonos

I really haven’t seen anything that meets my needs as well as Sonos and dumping mine for different gear would be a major budget buster.

• Play from my NAS (with up to date security credentials)

• Not have a 64k track limit

Is there not a way to side step the security issue by connecting to a dedicated NAS that is not connected to the net? In fact the whole Sonos set up can be such, it can work with no access to the net.

As to the 64k thing, I think there are workarounds, google ought to guide you to them.

Changing to another system may be a frying pan into the fire outcome...leaving aside the cost aspect.

Badge +2

I’ll let others make kit suggestions. But, Sonos will be supporting SMB2/3 eventually, according to this thread 

Users have been requesting this for 3+ years so I’m not holding my breath.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’ll let others make kit suggestions. But, Sonos will be supporting SMB2/3 eventually, according to this thread