Link Sonos to wired amplifier with speaker cable

Hi, which sonos to get, if I want to link Sonos with my current home-theatre receiver?
It is 5.1 Dolby atmos receiver with no pre-out on each channel, but subwoofer.
Can TOSlink output 5 channels?

Thank you

2 replies

The only 5.1 signal that Sonos can support is a Dolby Digital signal, not an Atmos, or DTS signal.

None of the Sonos devices will output a 5.1 signal to your current home theater receiver, that's not the way that Sonos has designed their system. The Sonos Amp, and the CONNECT are designed to provide a stereo signal to a receiver, but not a 5.1 signal. And similarly, they're designed to accept a stereo signal from a receiver.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
My question would be: what do you want to achieve by connecting your Home cinema receiver to Sonos? Do you want to use Sonos for a homecinema set up in another room? Do you want to use your homecinema receiver as a switch for your TV, BD-player etc (as having a homecinema receiver present suggests you already have the accompanying speaker)? Or, although your remark about 5.1 does not suggest it, do you want to play your music from a Sonos-source on your homecinema receiver?

About your receiver:
- brand and model name would be a good help with helping you;
- does it have an analog out (for a tapedeck for example, that could feed an analog input -no 5.1- on a Sonos) or an hdmi out (that could feed an Amp)?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings