Just curious. What's the general audiophile of Sonos speakers?

• 20 December 2018
  • 39 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Connect in its ZP90 incarnation is bit perfect so is impossible to beat as a streamer whatever the cost. Hires is pointless snake oil.
Connect in its ZP90 incarnation is bit perfect...
Maybe, but the only Connect that you can buy new isn't, AIUI
Badge +20

Once upon a time, I owned a pair of $10K speakers (Meridian DSP5200). Then I owned a pair of $5K speakers (Devialet Phantom Gold).

Then I bought a Beam. And two One SLs. And a Sub. And a Move. And a bunch of IKEA Symfonisk for lesser rooms.

Then finally I broke down and bought a pair of Play:5s.

Today I bought a second Sub.

I hope I’m done.

I’m happy.

:-)

I am very interested to know how Play 5’s compare to the much more expensive Devialet. 

The Devialet Phantoms…. unreal deep base, bowl dislodging, goes to stupid volume levels, no distortion… the software sucks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Contemporary music usually has very simple titles, which don't take up much space. Classical music can have very long album and track titles, which also translates into tag length (if you want to know what you're playing, anyway).

Yep, I understand and know your problem. Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, they are all build to index contemporary music. It's not only the fact that there is an artist and a composer and a conductor and a orchestra,... there is also the fact that there is no standard in tagging.

Finding your way in classical music tracks is an adventure 🙂
Finding your way in classical music tracks is an adventure :)
Yes, it is :D
Having got the Chromecast Audio working, it's playing through the Play 5 via my phone at the moment. I found a good Android app called Hi-Fi Cast - Music Player which works well, but also seems quite configurable. It's impressive that I can play music via the CA on the Play 5 direct to the ZP90 in the other room, whilst still listening to different music on the Play 5.
Having said that, the casting approach doesn't seem to have any limits on it, unlike Sonos, so I'm exploring the possibility that two CAs could actually replace the Sonos setup - for my particular purposes - I fully accept that they won't do everything that the Sonos kit does.
Good thoughts here. I started with a Play 5 (yesterday) and feel that the sound is quite good, and probably edges out than anything I could get at $1,500 or below (though I can get better volume). I am primarily using it for music only and may get a second Play 5 to set up in stereo. Maybe I'll eventually get a sub and an Amp as well. Anyway, I will admit that I was surprised at the sound quality (hip hop, alternative, classic rock, and jazz) when I first turned it on. I need to figure out how to tune the bass but I was very surprised. It certainly edges out everything from Bose.

One thing I’ve learned after being married for a few decades is…..Women are much smarter than men!

In general, I would agree, but they too have their weak points. Shoes, as one example.

PS: I just noticed - appropriate subject to approach and then reach the 10,000 count for my posts here, starting from back in 2011, which was the time I had my “enough of this audiophile frenzy” moment.

I've never perceived that Sonos has positioned themselves as an "audiophile" solution in any case.

But I too, am with Kumar. Had I had the money necessary, I would have certainly flirted with the audiophile market in my youth, but now am pleased to use something that is reasonably priced, and works for my ears. I'm no longer really interested in comparing numbers, costs, ranges of sensitivity, all of those things. I'm interested in listening to what I want to listen to, when I want, without obstruction, and with good fidelity. Sonos hits all of those marks for me.
Userlevel 2
One exception: Wiley and Magneplanar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That said, I am very surprised to hear Sonos staff deny here that Sonos make audiophile speakers.

I think they probably take the view that classing them as Audiophile would probably deter more people that it would attract.

If any sales staff start with mentioning Audiophile I switch off and assume =massive cost for very little extra benefit which i could probably not perceive anyway.
That said, I am very surprised to hear Sonos staff deny here that Sonos make audiophile speakers.
I found it refreshingly honest and realistic, personally....

I think they probably take the view that classing them as Audiophile would probably deter more people that it would attract.

Now that you say so, perhaps. But I doubt that many would be as discerning as you about any negatives associated with that much abused and misused word, to the extent that no one really knows what it means anymore.
On the other hand, in opposition to what Sonos has said on this thread, this, from their website:

"“The sound of music or the sound of a great movie should be transmitted into your home as pure and honest as it can be.” – Giles Martin
“There isn’t such a thing as a ‘Sonos sound’,” Martin explains. “Like a clear window that lets the light shine through, Sonos is a portal to the world of sonic culture in your home.”
To keep this metaphorical window free of the dust that could disrupt that clarity, Giles Martin works closely with the Soundboard and a wider network of sound creators to critique and fine-tune the sound experience of the Sonos system.

Other than using the A word, what he says is no different from what audiophile equipment makers claim for their wares. To then also say what has been said on this thread is disingenous.

IMO, all that matters is liking the sound of music from them...or not. That is the bottom line to the decision of buying/keeping Sonos products.

Unless one also needs eye candy like backlit dancing VU meters and the potential to do endless tinkering. That, Sonos does not offer.

Is Sonos “Class A Stereophile Recommended?” Maybe not. But compared with the majority of high end set ups, is it possible to get near-audiophile sound quality (imaging, dynamics, transients, etc) from a Sonos set up? I’d say yes.

I have a Connect driving a B&W reference system, and the sound is fantastic. And I have a set of Sonos 3s with a Sub in another, larger room, and I’d argue it is extremely close in quality.

Stereophile has a very hard time putting something of the Sonos price point in the Class A category; if they did, their audiophile readers would be very annoyed with that. Better to read their measurement/comments after testing Sonos ZonePlayers back in the day when that is what Connect/Connect Amp were called.

I would argue that your Connect driven system is as good as it would be with any other audiophile source and the sound would entirely depend on the downstream kit and speaker placement. If the latter was reference quality, that would not change.

The other system you refer to would still be in audiophile leagues - extremely close to reference is good enough for it to qualify. That said, a certain member here would want to jump in to denounce me for saying this as he is habituated to do, but that is just how he is, and is of no consequence.