Answered

Is there a setup that exists for what I want?

• 25 April 2019
  • 9 replies

I want a wireless TV surround sound setup for my living room that I can also connect my DJ mixer to. The mixer can be connected to Sonos via wire or wireless. The only thing is that there cannot be a delay with the DJ equipment. I know for most wireless systems there is a 1-2 second delay. For example, if you press pause on your iPhone, there is a delay when the music actually stops.

Is there any configuration that works with what I’m looking for?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 April 2019, 04:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Bcnlbz

Airgetlam is correct about the approximate 70ms delay. However let’s put that into perspective: the latency of a broadband connection is 30 - 100 ms. I don’t know of any human capable of discerning that gap.

Regarding your mixer... if you were to fold in a wireless connection of it to a wireless Sonos system a delay quite possibly would be noticeable.

In the scenario I suggested the only wireless connection is between the Sonos Amp to the Sonos Sub and surrounds which is why those data packets travel over the faster 5GHZ band. The connections between your computer, mixer, and the Sonos Amp are all wired. My suggestion is not to use “Cheap” analog cables. Spend the extra bucks on something like AudioQuest Evergreen (my favorite) or higher.

But as I said you’ll have to decide if the setup suggested meets your exacting standards.

Cheers!
Music from your phone, effectively no delay. Music from your mixer, which would go to an analog input on the Sonos Amp, around 70 ms.

I have a DJ mixing app (Djay by Algoriddim) that can connect to any Wi-Fi enabled speaker. I wonder if the delay from the Djay app is effectively no delay like you say...

I seriously doubt that, as I don't believe such a feature is even possible being that there is no standard protocol for streaming to a wifi speaker. It's also not listed as a feature for the app.

I should correct my prior statement though. Sonos does not support bluetooth, but it does support airplay 2. So if you have an iphone, that could be a possibility. I don't know about the delay with airplay.

Yes, I have airplay and an iPhone.
Music from your phone, effectively no delay. Music from your mixer, which would go to an analog input on the Sonos Amp, around 70 ms.

I have a DJ mixing app (Djay by Algoriddim) that can connect to any Wi-Fi enabled speaker. I wonder if the delay from the Djay app is effectively no delay like you say...

I seriously doubt that, as I don't believe such a feature is even possible being that there is no standard protocol for streaming to a wifi speaker. It's also not listed as a feature for the app.

I should correct my prior statement though. Sonos does not support bluetooth, but it does support airplay 2. So if you have an iphone, that could be a possibility. I don't know about the delay with airplay.

Please note though that Sonos doesn't have bluetooth. Sonos can play music files stored your phone, but you won't be able hear audio from youtube or something of that nature.
Hi Bcnlbz

Airgetlam is correct and the following is "outside the box" for Sonos. IMO it's only generally possible since the introduction of the Sonos Amp. The Connect Amp which was the predecessor wouldn't have been a good fit.

To accomplish what you want you’d have to go with the following rig:
1. Sonos Amp
2. 3rd party speakers up front *
3. Sonos Sub
4. Sonos Surrounds (Play 1 x 2 , Sonos One Gen1/Gen 2 x 2 or Play 5 x 2 which IMO are overkill) **
5. Computer to Mixer
6. Mixer RCA-out to RCA-in of Sonos Amp (line-in set to auto)

Make sure you have a liberal return policy just incase you are not satisfied with the results.

You may have a delay with other speakers Grouped to your HT when in DJ mode; but if they are in another room it probably wouldn’t matter.

* The center channel would be “Phantom” which is derived as a sweet spot between the two speakers
** The surrounds can be set to switch automatically between ambieint (for movies) and full on stereo (for music).

Cheers!

Thanks this is really helpful, was thinking something along these lines.

Just so I know, if I were to get something like the beam, how is the delay from playing music from my phone (wirelessly without the amp or anything)? Is it more or less than a second when starting, stopping, changing the volume of a song?
Userlevel 7
Hi Bcnlbz

Airgetlam is correct and the following is "outside the box" for Sonos. IMO it's only generally possible since the introduction of the Sonos Amp. The Connect Amp which was the predecessor wouldn't have been a good fit.

To accomplish what you want you’d have to go with the following rig:
1. Sonos Amp
2. 3rd party speakers up front *
3. Sonos Sub
4. Sonos Surrounds (Play 1 x 2 , Sonos One Gen1/Gen 2 x 2 or Play 5 x 2 which IMO are overkill) **
5. Computer to Mixer
6. Mixer RCA-out to RCA-in of Sonos Amp (line-in set to auto)

Make sure you have a liberal return policy just incase you are not satisfied with the results.

You may have a delay with other speakers Grouped to your HT when in DJ mode; but if they are in another room it probably wouldn’t matter.

* The center channel would be “Phantom” which is derived as a sweet spot between the two speakers
** The surrounds can be set to switch automatically between ambieint (for movies) and full on stereo (for music).

Cheers!
Not that I'm aware of. Certainly Sonos would have a delay when you connected your DJMixer to it.