Integrating with existing equipment

A friend has asked me to help him install some outdoor speakers for him. Sounds easy enough. The problem is he currently has a Samsung screen connected to a Polk Soundbar. The challenge is he would like to have the option of playing the same music inside on the soundbar at the same time it is playing outside on the patio. Currently he uses the bluetooth connection to play music from his phone on the sound bar but also may use one of the music channels from Comcast to play music on the Soundbar.

My thinking is to purchase a Sonos Connect and also a Sonos Amp. The audio from the TV would go to the Sonos Connect via RCA. The Sonos Connect would go to the Soundbar via Optical cable and also go to the Sonos Amp via RCA.

This would enable him to use the Sonos Connect to feed the soundbar and the Sonos Amp at the same time but also give him the option of just playing music either inside or outside independently. I guess he also would still be able to play music directly to the Soundbar using Bluetooth but with this system he could just play everything using the Sonos app.

Does this scenario sound like it would work? Does anyone see a problem with my thoughts?

Thanks for the help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It will work as long as you get output from the TV - do all sources go to TV then how does it go out to the Polk Soundbar?
Currently the connections go in this order.

1-Cable box (connects using HDMI to TV)
2-TV (connects using Optical cable to soundbar)
3-Soundbar
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First - streaming Bluetooth to the Soundbar there is no way to have that Bluetooth music actually play then to Sonos speakers (the soundbar has no input).

First logical thing would be replace the soundbar with a Sonos Playbar.

But short of that then - if playing music channels from the cable box. You could hook the Connect to the analog outs of the cable box (assume it has left/right white/red RCA outputs on the cable box that could feed the Connect. Then hook the analog out from the Connect to the Aux in of the soundbar to be able to play Sonos music to the soundbar / along with the Sonos Connect:Amp.

Playing via bluetooth you will only be able to play to the soundbar. Need to replace playing with inferior bluetooth with using Sonos app and playing music from Sonos app (or compatible direct apps).
First - streaming Bluetooth to the Soundbar there is no way to have that Bluetooth music actually play then to Sonos speakers (the soundbar has no input).

I was thinking if he only wanted to play music inside through the soundbar, then he would be able to use the Bluetooth connection. I wasn't thinking he would use Bluetooth and back feed to the Sonos system. I was thinking he would use the Sonos app and use the Optical out on the Sonos Connect that would be connected to the Soundbar (the Soundbar has both optical inputs as well as a 3.5mm audio input). I guess one of my concerns would be if the Sonos Connect would put out audio on the Optical output as well as the RCA outputs at the same time this way one output would be feeding the soundbar and the other would be feeding the Sonos Amp(which in turn is feeding the outdoor speakers).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Since tv is hooked to the optical you should feed the analog into the soundbar from connect
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The connect amp feeding the outdoor speakers doesn’t need connected to anything at the tv. It will get it sound fed wirelessly from the Sonos app or from the connect wirelessly. The connect amp only needs placed somewhere convieninet to running the outside wires (like the garage).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea you are confused. Why would you feed output from the connect into the connect:amp. Sonos does this wirelessly. You wouldn’t input anything into the connect amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The connect analog outputs you will connect to the anaolg input of the soundbar so the soundbar can play Sonos music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
To play tv music via the connect amp you would pick the connect amp zone and choose the source of music as the Connect analog in.

You would most likely would name the input on the connect “tv sound”. Then any speaker in house that you wanted to hear the tv sound on you just pick in controller ... “tv sound” as the source.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Do you happen to know the soundbar's make and model?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’ve been assuming it’s a dsb1 or solo.
I’m pretty sure he has this Soundbar

Polk Audio - 2.1-Channel Soundbar System with Wireless Subwoofer - Black

With regard to making the connections, I didn’t think you could use a local input on the Connect as a source on the Amp. I have a Play 5 and a Connect in my house but I never group them together since I have the Play5 in my office and would never need to play the same music in both places at the same time. I’ll have to try it out and if it works good then all of my trouble is solved....except of course running the cables to outside for the speakers. That’s a different story.

Thanks for the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes. The local input on the connect is available to ever speaker in system under browse in the controller. It is a primary feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That’s what makes the running cables outside easier too. You can place the connect amp in a location easiest to run wires outside like in garage or closet close to outdoors. You just need power.