Instaling Sonos in my new home, Help!!!

• 30 January 2019
  • 16 replies

Badge
Hello there folks. Need help setting up with SONOS and it would be great if U guys could advise me on which products to buy.

So, let me explain the situation: I am moving into my new home and plan to place sonos on the ground floor and on the bedroom upstairs.
On the ground floor:
I want a system that provides 5,1 sound from my tv as well as general music.
I want to be able to do Alexa voice control.
Due to the size of the tv (55") and the size of the living room I have decided for the playbar and sub and 2 Ones.
Do I need a boost or use the home wifi?
What are the advantages os conecting the playbar to a ethrnet port near the TV? Does it make the conection better for other speakers?

Upstairs:
bedroom is quite small, so what to buy?
How do I ensure that the signal will still be good upstairs?
DO I get any advantage on connecting a speaker to a ethernet port?

Sorry for all the trouble but I am really confused
Help me out
Tks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Thank u all. i will buy the system next month and let U know once I have installed it how it went!

Cheers to you all Sonos geeks!

That's GREAT NEWS!!! Let us know how things go and we'll be here to answer your questions!

Cheers!
Badge
Thank u all. i will buy the system next month and let U know once I have installed it how it went!

Cheers to you all Sonos geeks!
Userlevel 7
Well, with half brain or not, help me out. Imagine I am watching a DVD concert in my Tv, and I want to change my 5.1 definitions in order for the Ones to be full and not just surround. Is it easy to make this change?It sounds like the TV/DVD output is in PCM stereo, rather than DD 5.1 ... You can check the audio output by opening the Sonos App, goto 'Settings/About my Sonos System' ... look for the Beam in your device list and it will show the type of audio output that is currently playing.

If it’s 'stereo' (as I suspect), then obviously the rear Left/Right Channels in 'every' 5.1 System are not normally used for that type of TV output.

Hi Ken

Thanks for chiming in. At this time Diogo R is asking "What If" questions. According to his original post he doesn't yet have a Sonos HT system. Therefore he can't check the "About my Sonos" page. Also, you and I are re-covering each others suggestions :8.

Diogo R you'll have to read your TV manual under audio settings to determine if it will pass DD5.1 over optical. Even if it does certain connected hardware as well streaming video services may need to be tweaked in order for a DD5.1 signal to reach your TV and then on to the Playbar. Bottom-line it's not the Sonos Playbar that determines what signal it's sent. Signals are controlled by your TV and the hardware connected to it and/or the streaming service/app it's able to handle.

As I said before to have all your questions/concerns answered you'll have to buy the equipment and run a trial. You can then revisit this forum for additional help and or contact Sonos Tech support. There's not much that can't be resolved.

Note: Regarding setting up in Wired (Boost) mode. You can use a dedicated Boost module or wire a speaker to establish Wired (boost) mode. If you have Etherent throughout your home you can wire other speakers as well to increase the reach of the SonosMesh. If wiring a stereo pair you should always choose the left speaker. Also, setting static IP addresses for each Sonos component is also a good idea. Not required but can help to prevent duplicate IP addresses in a home with a lot of Wi-Fi devices.

Cheers!
Thats great! Even so, I use a lot of Plex as a media server in my apple TV. If I select a Music concert on Plex and play it in the AppleTv, will sonos automatically convert to full music or it will still be 5.1 surround?You can only use 'FULL' audio for music playback when playing a music audio source rather than a TV source... There are other settings though in the Beams Room/Advanced Audio area, in particular the two slider bars for adjusting the audio between the Beam and it’s rear surrounds, even when playing TV audio ... please see my screenshot attached.

You can also improve the audio level output to the rear speakers during the trueplay setup process for the Beam Room too.
Badge
Thats great! Even so, I use a lot of Plex as a media server in my apple TV. If I select a Music concert on Plex and play it in the AppleTv, will sonos automatically convert to full music or it will still be 5.1 surround?
Well, with half brain or not, help me out. Imagine I am watching a DVD concert in my Tv, and I want to change my 5.1 definitions in order for the Ones to be full and not just surround. Is it easy to make this change?It sounds like the TV/DVD output is in PCM stereo, rather than DD 5.1 ... You can check the audio output by opening the Sonos App, goto 'Settings/About my Sonos System' ... look for the Beam in your device list and it will show the type of audio output that is currently playing.

If it’s 'stereo' (as I suspect), then obviously the rear Left/Right Channels in 'every' 5.1 System are not normally used for that type of TV output.
Userlevel 7
Well, with half brain or not, help me out. Imagine I am watching a DVD concert in my Tv, and I want to change my 5.1 definitions in order for the Ones to be full and not just surround. Is it easy to make this change?

Sonos will analyze the source material.. if there is material encoded as surround that is how it will present it to the rears in an HT setup The rears will play what they are sent.

If the source is encoded as music (stereo) and you previously set the surrounds as described in the link I provided then they will play as Full automatically.

Any other adjustments will have to made secondary by the user. In any event you can’t force surround material to play as if it’s not unless you have a mixing board and can change the encoding. 🙂
Badge
Well, with half brain or not, help me out. Imagine I am watching a DVD concert in my Tv, and I want to change my 5.1 definitions in order for the Ones to be full and not just surround. Is it easy to make this change?
Userlevel 7
Please keep in mind that, from my experience, if you add the Sub your soundbar will not be able to create a balanced listening experience. In home theatre mode the Sub will create great low rumbles, but the soundbar will not be able to match the L/R front channels in a balanced way. For music it's even worse since most music is mixed to provide a stereo sounds stage that is ok with just the soundbar, but from my listening experience, extremely unbalanced with the Sub. You can turn the Sub down, but then what's the point of paying so much for it?

Unfortunately, the solution of adding L/R dedicated front speakers (such as the play:1, play:3 or play:5 is not currently possible and Sonos will not say if it ever will be).

I did not know that this limitation existed until I made the investment in all the equipment. If you plan to add the Sub, I think you will waste your money and should look at another solution. Without the sub, for a small room the 5.1 solution with virtual L/R front speakers is acceptable.

I hope this helps.

Hi Diogo R

I rarely disagree to the level I'm about to with any Community Member but what ynalezinski just said is incorrect on so many levels. May be s/he had a bad experience or just didn't know how to setup the system properly:?

The Playbar carries the L/C/R channels as it is suppose to. The Sub and Surrounds are Bonded to the Playbar. The Playbar is a computer that analyzes the signals it receives and extrapolates them at a crossover point to the sub and concurrently sends the surround material to the surround speakers. This same process occurs for TV audio and music.

When music is played think of having two stereo speakers in front and two in the rear; the sub still receives the low-end. To be honest the Playbar will not give the same separation of a front stage with music as two separate speakers. By the same token neither will a competitors sound-bar. Anyone with half-a-brain knows that there is tradeoff when listening to music played through a soundbar versus two speakers. I've yet to find a single thread in this forum (until now) that said the sub worsen the listening experience.

As Sonos and most retailers have at least a 15 day return policy (Sonos 45 days) just buy the speakers you want and audition them and decide for yourself (maybe something ynalezinski should have done). I'm confident you'll keep them. Be sure to use an iOS device to engage Trueplay in the Sonos app to tune the speakers to your environment. If you don't use an iOS device I recommend borrowing one.

I hope this helps and encourages you to make your own informed decision. Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
No need to change settings, as soon as the audio source changes from the TV input to anything else, Sonos will switch to the music mode automatically. If you have chosen the "full" setting as described above, this means getting stereo from the bar and stereo from the surround speaker pair. The volume ratio between the surround pair and the bar can be adjusted separately for TV mode and music mode.

One remark: TV mode is used for any and all sound coming from the TV, so if your TV pushes music to Sonos, it will remain in TV mode. The auto-switch above is true for all other music sources within the Sonos app.

Please keep in mind that, from my experience, if you add the Sub your soundbar will not be able to create a balanced listening experience. In home theatre mode the Sub will create great low rumbles, but the soundbar will not be able to match the L/R front channels in a balanced way. For music it's even worse since most music is mixed to provide a stereo sounds stage that is ok with just the soundbar, but from my listening experience, extremely unbalanced with the Sub. You can turn the Sub down, but then what's the point of paying so much for it?

Unfortunately, the solution of adding L/R dedicated front speakers (such as the play:1, play:3 or play:5 is not currently possible and Sonos will not say if it ever will be).

I did not know that this limitation existed until I made the investment in all the equipment. If you plan to add the Sub, I think you will waste your money and should look at another solution. Without the sub, for a small room the 5.1 solution with virtual L/R front speakers is acceptable.

I hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
Tks. Good answer. One more doubt. Imagine I am watching a movie in my sofa (mode: movie room) and enjoying 5.1 with surround ones, and suddenly want to chang for mucic and listen to all the speakers (bat, sub and ones) all at the same time with the same volume. Can I do this instantly on the app by changing all the speakers to a different setting (imagine: living room) or will I have to increase the volume of the Ones manually once they were in surround mode?

Hi Diogo R

As I said in my first answer....once you have set the surrounds to Full for music the switch from surround mode to Music mode is automatic. Here's a link on Home Theater setup. The 3rd sub-link explains all about setting up your surround speakers:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/home-theater

Note: The Playbar typically requires a higher setting for TV audio...that's normal. Use caution when moving from TV audio to music as the level of the Playbar may be a bit too high. My suggestion is to take the fews seconds it requires to lower the volume of your Playbar via the Sonos App or your remote before engaging music play back.

Cheers!
No need to change settings, as soon as the audio source changes from the TV input to anything else, Sonos will switch to the music mode automatically. If you have chosen the "full" setting as described above, this means getting stereo from the bar and stereo from the surround speaker pair. The volume ratio between the surround pair and the bar can be adjusted separately for TV mode and music mode.

One remark: TV mode is used for any and all sound coming from the TV, so if your TV pushes music to Sonos, it will remain in TV mode. The auto-switch above is true for all other music sources within the Sonos app.
Badge
Tks. Good answer. One more doubt. Imagine I am watching a movie in my sofa (mode: movie room) and enjoying 5.1 with surround ones, and suddenly want to chang for mucic and listen to all the speakers (bat, sub and ones) all at the same time with the same volume. Can I do this instantly on the app by changing all the speakers to a different setting (imagine: living room) or will I have to increase the volume of the Ones manually once they were in surround mode?
Userlevel 7
Hi Diogo R

Welcome to Sonos. Here are my recommendations and you may get others.

On the ground floor:
I want a system that provides 5,1 sound from my tv as well as general music.
I want to be able to do Alexa voice control.
Due to the size of the tv (55") and the size of the living room I have decided for the playbar and sub and 2 Ones.

The Playbar, Sub and Sonos Ones will fulfill all above. You'll have to read your TV's manual to know if it will pass DD5.1 over optical.

You can set the Sonos One's to Full for music and ambieint for surround. Once set they will switch automatically depending upon the material they receive.

The music will play from the Playbar and surrounds with the sub. You'll be able to adjust the volume of the Playbar and surrounds independently during music playback.

Do I need a boost or use the home wifi?
What are the advantages os conecting the playbar to a ethrnet port near the TV? Does it make the conection better for other speakers?

Usinig Ethernet sets your Sonos as Wired (Boost) mode to use the SonosMesh which can be better than home Wi-Fi in some instances to negate interference from other devices. Wired can improve connection with other speakers when Grouping them to Sonos in other parts of your home. You can start with Wi-Fi to see how that works and later switch to Wired if needed.

Upstairs:
bedroom is quite small, so what to buy?
How do I ensure that the signal will still be good upstairs?
DO I get any advantage on connecting a speaker to a ethernet port?

If wanting a dual purpose speaker in the bedroom a Sonos Beam would be perfect. Enhanced TV sound and music. Getting a good signal may be OK with your Wi-Fi or you may need to go Wired (Boost) Mode. You won't know until you setup the speaker.

If all you want is Music in the bedroom than I'd go with two Sonos One's set in stereo pair.

The Sonos One's and the Beam provide Alexa voice assistance and Airplay 2 support.
Let's us know what you decide.

Note: You can use an iOS device to use TruePlay via the Sonos App to tune your speakers in each room.

Cheers!