Information on a potential Setup.

Badge

Hello. I have been sifting through past posts to see if I can find the answers, but truth me told I’m still confused as hell as how I can set up what I want. Maybe a good samaritan can give me some feedback or tips on the following:

So, I have a samsung TV, Apple TV and PS4. I also want to get a turntable (TT) and then naturally speakers. Ideally I would like to avoid the AV-Reciever route, too many cables so WLAN or bluetooth connections are my go to choice. The TT will have preamp.  What I would therefore like is to be able to play all of these things through my Sonos speakers. I have been looking at the PLAY:5, and considered getting two of these to use in stereo. I know from my research that you can connect the TT to the PLAY:5 directly (some wires are ok). So that means the TT is sorted, I can enjoy my music on the TT. But can I also then connect the TV, PS4 and Apple TV via the play:5(s) also? If so, will I experience a delay between picture and audio?

Also, if I was to use a PLAY:5 (as I need it for the TT), could one then also use two ONE(s) and sync them all together. And again, would that the work for my tv etc?

The TT will also have bluetooth capability, I am not that fussed about the audio loss in comparison to wired Turntables. If this also opens up other possibilities, I am all ears.

I would appreciate any kind of info (or critic), if this would work (or not), and if not any suggestions would be greatly welcomed and appreciated. 

Thank You!

Dewi

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For TV - I would recommend getting a Beam.   Using Play:5s for TV yes your going to have a bit of lip sync delay.

Bluetooth has no use in Sonos system

Then you can still have 2 play:5’s with the turntable connected to and can play to any/all speakers.

Badge

Hi Chris. Thanks for the quick reply. 

So, is that then two separate systems? The tv will go through beam and the TT through the Plays? The lip sync delay aside, is what I initially wrote possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes you can have a Pair of Play:5 and have the TV (if has analog output) into one and the record player plugged in second.

No with a Beam up front hooked to TV and play:5s they are all the same system and can be grouped and played together.

Badge

Hi again,

Sorry, you mean the Beam? not Move?

Ok. So I would hook up my TT to the Play and the TV to the Beam, but then they would all be connected and sound from the TV and the TT would come from all 3 in one system? Just so that I have it clear in my head.

No, it’s not separate systems.  Sonos is a multiroom system and the devices are designed to play in sync or separately as needed.  But as Chris stated, Sonos has devices specifically designed for use with a TV to avoid lip sync issues, so it’s always best to use those rather than Sonos other speakers.

You could also use a Port or Sonos amp to bring in the audio for your TT.   So for example, you could get a Port and a Beam, allowing you to play audio from the TT or TV on the Beam.  You could also get a Sonos amp + wired speakers to play TT and TV, since it has both HDMI-ARC and aux input.

Worth noting, for TV audio connected to one of Sonos HT devices, only that device (and those bonded with it for home theatre sound) will be in sync with the video.  Other speakers you have setup for different rooms will play the audio slightly delayed.  When using streaming sources or aux input sources, like your TT, the audio will always be exactly synced for all speakers.

Badge

Hi Danny, thanks for your input also.

So let me just summarise for my own benefit.

Option 1
Two Play:5s (one hooked up to tv the other to the TT) but will suffer some lip sync delay. Not ideal.

Option2

A Beam and two Play:5s, in which the Beam will eliminate the sync problem as it is better suited for TVs. And the Play:5s more for music. The three however will be all connected into one system. Speakers (PLAY5) bonded with the TV audio speaker will be in sync? 

Option 3

I get a beam and a port. THis allows me to connect my TT to the Port which then plays it through the beam (which is connected to the tv). 

Option 4

A sonos amp+ and wired speakers, the TT and TV is connected to the amp and sound played through the speakers also connected to the amp.

So I think I have understood it all now. Thank you so much for your information, I now have enough info to find the best deals!

Cheers

Dewi

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I do like the Option 4 - I’m a big fan of the Sonos Amp (and that gives you 2 inputs - TV and turntable)  … much cleaner setup in all your must haves.

That will give you TV sound and music through the wired speakers and the Amp also has an input for your turntable.

Then if you need music / or turntable sound TV sound in any other rooms just add additional Sonos speakers.

Hi Danny, thanks for your input also.

So let me just summarise for my own benefit.

Option 1
Two Play:5s (one hooked up to tv the other to the TT) but will suffer some lip sync delay. Not ideal.

I am not 100% sure you can connect both if the play:5s are stereo paired.  I don’t think you’re going to end up with this option, so I won’t elaborate much further.

Option2

A Beam and two Play:5s, in which the Beam will eliminate the sync problem as it is better suited for TVs. And the Play:5s more for music. The three however will be all connected into one system. Speakers (PLAY5) bonded with the TV audio speaker will be in sync? 

These essentially connected, but the terminology is off.  All three speakers would be in the same system, same account.  A system is divided into rooms.  Each room can be a single Sonos device or it could be speakers semi-permanently bonded together. A stereo pair makes up a room.  A home theatre setup is a room.  Each room can play audio separately or be grouped with other rooms temporarily to play audio in sync.

So if you had a Beam and two play:5s, you’ll mostly want two rooms,  a stereo pair of play:5s  and your Beam.  You could bond your play:5s as surround speakers with the Beam, all one room, but that would limit their functionality when playing TV, and I don’t think you can use the aux inputs in that setup.

Option 3

I get a beam and a port. THis allows me to connect my TT to the Port which then plays it through the beam (which is connected to the tv). 

Correct.  Two separate rooms in this case.   One benefit of this is that the TT and Port can be placed in anywhere, no need to be physically near a speaker.

Option 4

A sonos amp+ and wired speakers, the TT and TV is connected to the amp and sound played through the speakers also connected to the amp.

Yep, one single room.

Badge

Yeah, I think we have a winner in option 4. Seems to be the simplest best route for me.

Hmmm, now then...which wired speakers :-D. Let the next step of research begin. 

Cheers lads!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I would also think about some wireless Sonos speakers for other rooms then …. 

Badge

Yeah definately, that is also something I will look at later on once im set up in the living room. :thumbsup_tone2:

Badge

With the AMP though, there is the older version the Connect:AMP and the newer one. 

Optically the newer, black AMP looks much better. But is there THAT much of a difference in their performance? Price wise there is. Would the Connect:Amp also be sufficient for what I want to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I recently set up a friend of mine with his turntable connecting in to sonos like your doing.

I’ve always been on the side that - hey your converting to digital into sonos why bother with a turntable.

I have to say the sound from the turntable throughout his house had a very warm feel to it coming out of the Sonos speakers.  He has about 8 sonos speakers in various rooms of his house and it sounded great with them all on pumping out his vinyl collection.  Brings back the art of listening to an entire album as well.

With the AMP though, there is the older version the Connect:AMP and the newer one. 

Optically the newer, black AMP looks much better. But is there THAT much of a difference in their performance? Price wise there is. Would the Connect:Amp also be sufficient for what I want to do?

The Connect:Amp has significantly lower power and only has aux input, no option to connect to the TV.

Badge

The Connect:Amp has significantly lower power and only has aux input, no option to connect to the TV.

Well thats that then!

Badge

He has about 8 sonos speakers in various rooms of his house and it sounded great with them all on pumping out his vinyl collection.

What speakers was he using? What set up did he have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

He had a regular analog receiver he loved until he moved about 2 years ago and started putting Sonos around his new house. Loved Sonos never hooked up his old receiver. 

loves Sonos but hadn’t listened to his vinyl collection in 2 years.  So hooked his turntable up to Sonos connect.  Now he is loving his vinyl Sonos combo.  

Badge

Sorry, I meant what Sonos speakers is he using for his set up?

https://www.numanaudio.com/Serien/Retrospective-Serie/NUMAN-Retrospective-1977-MKII.html

These speakers look great. Reviews seem pretty good also, they would fit perfectly. 

As a bit of a noob to the whole audio/hi-fi world, when you have standing wired speakers like this, is a subwoofer something you really need? or a luxury.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You want Sonos amp

connect amp will not satisfy any of your needs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

He has beam and Sonos Sls and sub in his theater room. 

he also has another beam and about 5 other Sonos ones. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

He doesn’t have any wires speakers anymore

i have B&W 600 series speakers and B&W subs hooked to my Sonos amps