Question

I have 8 ceiling speakers, what will I need to play them all?

• 21 December 2016
  • 10 replies

I have 8 ceiling speakers in 4 different rooms in my house. Each room has already a volume switch for 2 speakers on the room. I bought a very cheap receiver and I don't know if I did it right, the receiver keep shutting off every 20 minutes. I think its because it doesn't have enough power. I'm willing to spend some money to get the right thing but I need to know what to buy...do I need an AMP and a Receiver? And if yes, which one will I need to power all these speakers with no problem for 6 to 8 hours???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Sounds like you want to look into the Connect Amps. The beauty of Sonos is they can source the music on their own and be controlled thru apps so no need for an amp. A Connect Amp can drive 2 sets of speakers but that will limit some of another benefit of Sonos which is selecting diff music for rooms and grouping them how you like. So you probably would want a Connect Amp for all 4 rooms.
can you connect 6 speakers to 1 amp ?
can you connect 6 speakers to 1 amp ?

No, the limit is 2 pairs, and they must be 8 Ohm speakers.
I don't really need to play different music in different rooms. So probably two Connect:Amps should do it for all 4 speakers....Right?
As long as they are 8 Ohms each. Anything below 8 Ohms will result in impedance problems, with the same types of amplifier shutdowns you have now.
Great. Thanks jgatie!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Also get ready for wanting to add another 2 more once you find out how nice Sonos enables you to play to different rooms!!! LOL I've got a couple places where I could have put two pairs on a ConenctAmp but the flexibility is just to great having them separate. Enjoy!!!
But if I decide to buy more, can I link them all together to work as one? Or will I have to go through each ConnectAmp to change music or equalize the music?
But if I decide to buy more, can I link them all together to work as one? Or will I have to go through each ConnectAmp to change music or equalize the music?

You can group multiple Sonos units together. When grouped, they all play the same music in perfect sync, and you can control the volume of all at once, or individually.

There's a video on this page which shows grouping in action:

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-101-getting-started-6763008
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
As jgatie posted, yes. That's the beauty of Sonos! If you had 4 Connect Amps, you could have diff music in each room, group 2 together, 3 together, or all 4. Perfectly timed!!! Yes its pricey, once you get the feel of it, you want them everywhere! Then you will realize getting your TV sound into the system with the Playbar is needed. Then bam throw a Sonos Sub in the really make things kick. That's what has happened to me!!! Start with the two Connect Amps and get the feel, and then let us know your thoughts!