Home Theater setup recommendation

• 5 April 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hi guys,

I am waiting to get my hands on the Sonos Arc when it becomes available on the 14th of May (Eastern Europe), looking to create a 100% Sonos Home Theater setup.

My living room is 25sqm and the distance to the tv is 3.5m. Main use: 85% movies, 15% music. I was thinking of getting the ARC, Gen3 Sub and 2x One SLs; The surround speakers would sit to my left and right.

I do have a few questions though:

1. Would the Sonos Five improve the experience greatly in order to make it worth the extra money?
  2. Can I get and use also 2x Sonos Fives as dedicated front L/R speakers + the ARC in front of the TV + Sub + 2x OneSL for surround? 
  3. How many speakers can you connect in total to the ARC? can I make it 7.1.2? or 9.1.2? 
  4. How well does the speakers deal with bass? My room has poor acoustics and the bass from the subwoofers is amazing when sitting directly in front of the tv but 100% absent when moving elsewhere. I couldn't find a better placement for the old subs in the old HT systems I've had.

Looking forward for any advice.

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi guys,

I am waiting to get my hands on the Sonos Arc when it becomes available on the 14th of May (Eastern Europe), looking to create a 100% Sonos Home Theater setup.

My living room is 25sqm and the distance to the tv is 3.5m. Main use: 85% movies, 15% music. I was thinking of getting the ARC, Gen3 Sub and 2x One SLs; The surround speakers would sit to my left and right.

I do have a few questions though:

1. Would the Sonos Five improve the experience greatly in order to make it worth the extra money?

No, it really is overkill for surround sound duty.  For music playback, you configure the rear surrounds to play full stereo, but since you’re primary purpose is movies, I wouldn’t worry about it.

1. Can I get and use also 2x Sonos Fives as dedicated front L/R speakers + the ARC in front of the TV + Sub + 2x OneSL for surround? 

No, this isn’t a supported setup.  Some people will put Fives in the front as separate Sonos room, playing music only, but that can’t be used for TV audio playback.

1. How many speakers can you connect in total to the ARC? can I make it 7.1.2? or 9.1.2? 

Just 5, the front soundbar, the 2 rear surrounds, and 1 or 2 subs. 5.1.2 (or 5.2.2).

1. How well does the speakers deal with bass? My room has poor acoustics and the bass from the subwoofers is amazing when sitting directly in front of the tv but 100% absent when moving elsewhere. I couldn't find a better placement for the old subs in the old HT systems I've had.

I’ve had no similar problem with the Sonos sub.  Mine is placed behind my couch.  As mentioned already, you can get 2 subs if you think it’s necessary.  I haven’t tried it.  However, I would recommend getting 2 subs over using Fives as rear surrounds in terms of getting the most for your money.

Looking forward for any advice.

Cheers!