Answered

Hijacking turntable output?

• 16 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I have a Pro-Ject turntable hooked up to my Sonos 5, which plays happily through my other Sonos speakers.

So clearly it’s getting converted to digital somewhere along the way – my question is does anyone know how to tap into this digital stream so I can get the audio into my Mac? 

I have a bunch of records I made when I was a young lad that I’d like to import into Logic and mess around with – but I really don’t want to have to buy a new USB turntable just for that!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 September 2022, 17:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have a Pro-Ject turntable hooked up to my Sonos 5, which plays happily through my other Sonos speakers.

So clearly it’s getting converted to digital somewhere along the way – my question is does anyone know how to tap into this digital stream so I can get the audio into my Mac? 

I have a bunch of records I made when I was a young lad that I’d like to import into Logic and mess around with – but I really don’t want to have to buy a new USB turntable just for that!

The only Sonos device with a digital output is the Port.

Yea, I don’t think you’ll be able to hijack that digital signal.  I wouldn’t try and use Sonos for this, but look into getting a separate analog to digital converter.

Badge +20

Buying a USB turntable will probably be the easy option, as jgatie says you need a Port, then a digital input on your Mac. Some Mac’s have an optical input but most don’t.

This would be much cheaper, turning off your preamp.

https://audiot.co.uk/p-27197-rega-fono-mini-a2d-facelift-mm-phono-stage-rega-audio-t.aspx

Or perhaps you could find someone or a service who could digitise the records for you?

Ok. I have an audio interface attached to my Mac that does have digital coax in, but the Port is crazy-expensive for a device that I’ll use at most once or twice a year!

That Rega thing is definitely the slicker solution. Still not as cheap (read:free) as I was hoping it’d be but hey ho…

Thanks for the advice!