help NEW TV

• 19 February 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Hello everyone I have to buy the new TV, it is important that the TV decode Dolby Digital decoder, DTS? I have the playbase, sub, 2 play3
THANK YOU

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sonos only supports Dolby Digital and PCM.

Quiet sound or no audio from surround speakers
serravalc,

I would perhaps select your chosen TV Size/Brand/Model/Price yourself first, then before actually buying, maybe check back here to see if anyone has that same TV already working with Sonos HT. That might be a much easier way to go about your research.

From what you’ve mentioned so far in your opening post, it’s quite impractical to recommend any particular TV to you at the moment, as no one has any idea of your general requirements, not even the size/type of screen etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
you're right, sorry, here's the model Lg 43UK6950PLB
I don’t have that TV, personally speaking, but the manual online does say that it supports PCM ...and both DTS and Dolby Digital, the latter being perhaps the important aspect to you. So my GUESS is it will be okay, but perhaps wait to see if anyone here has that make/model and see what they may have to say about it.

Here is the manual:

http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=Nb0jcje0xqmwugpYY7wMw
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
thanks for the answer, so the tv could I do the decoding where the playbase can not, or do I have to take other accessories for decoding? another question I have the fire tv with the output in dolby using netflix 5.1 audio feels good but I do not like the dialogue is too low I have to always raise and lower the volume..speaking with technical assistance they told me that integrate codec to playbase in the next updates ... I'm sorry but I'm using a translator
What's your native language? Sonos has several forums available in other languages, you just happen to the on the English speaking one.

Most TV's don't do "decoding" on their own, they tend to pass through whatever the sending device gives them. So if you have a cable box, or DVD player, etc, it will send whatever codec is being sent by that device. This is why you need to lock down the TV itself (for when you're using the TV's tuner) and the other devices, all to Dolby Digital.

What kind of signal is your PLAYBASE receiving when you're having an issue with the volume? For instance, I've found that when the TV station is only sending a stereo signal, the volume of the dialog seems lower than when the program is in Dolby Digital. You can see that if you go in to the controller, then select Settings, and then "About My Sonos System" and look for the Audio In under the PLAYBASE, which should indicate either Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
the dialogue is too low

Try turning on speech enhancement?

Improving speech clarity and night time listening for home theater speakers
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
What's your native language? Sonos has several forums available in other languages, you just happen to the on the English speaking one.

Most TV's don't do "decoding" on their own, they tend to pass through whatever the sending device gives them. So if you have a cable box, or DVD player, etc, it will send whatever codec is being sent by that device. This is why you need to lock down the TV itself (for when you're using the TV's tuner) and the other devices, all to Dolby Digital.

What kind of signal is your PLAYBASE receiving when you're having an issue with the volume? For instance, I've found that when the TV station is only sending a stereo signal, the volume of the dialog seems lower than when the program is in Dolby Digital. You can see that if you go in to the controller, then select Settings, and then "About My Sonos System" and look for the Audio In under the PLAYBASE, which should indicate either Stereo or Dolby Digital 5.1.

tthanks for the answer, my language is Italian, on the information app tells me that the receiving is dolby digital 5.1 the dialogue is not very clear crystalline as the bose, even with ps4 in blueray is the same thing also activating the dialogue improvement on app talking to sonos explained to me that soon they will integrate new codecs
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
the dialogue is too low

Try turning on speech enhancement?

Improving speech clarity and night time listening for home theater speakers

done!! improves but not a crystalline dialogue like the bose
I'm delighted to hear that someone told you that they'd be integrating new codecs soon. While I have my doubts about the truth of that statement given to you, I'm also dubious as to what new codecs could be integrated, given the nature and restrictions of the optical connection, and what affect a new codec would have on a center channel. I guess I will have to wait and see.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I'm delighted to hear that someone told you that they'd be integrating new codecs soon. While I have my doubts about the truth of that statement given to you, I'm also dubious as to what new codecs could be integrated, given the nature and restrictions of the optical connection, and what affect a new codec would have on a center channel. I guess I will have to wait and see.

let's hope!! however, since it costs and not just the products should think seriously, when it comes to the audio is perfect sound is perfect sound but when it comes to home teather I'm not at all satisfied:@