Question

Help me choose please;) Sonos play 1 or new play one?

• 10 February 2018
  • 31 replies

Id really appreciate your help. Ive been weighing up the sonos vs a bose. I think my heart is now set on sonos. However i dont know which to get? I have a dot so can connect to the old play(although reviews of the integration arent too good and apparently you cant initiate playback through your dot, only through the sonos app). Alternatively i can get the new system but it has quite a few negative reviews and if i cant initiate playback apart from in the sonos app id be a bit put out. My idea is,as my house is quite small, have my dot upstairs and the sonos at the bottom of the stairs. As i often listen to music whilst cleaning i engisaged telling my dot to play xx on my sonos whilst sorting my stuff . The other alternative is 2 sonos /sonos alexas, one upstairs and downstairs. Really appreciate help! I only play music and radio, i dont care about flash briefing etc through the sonos. Experiences and advice welcome!!;)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

I have had the sonos system for 6 years now, it consists of two play 3's and two play 5's, this system is awsome. For your application the Sonos - One Wireless Speaker with Amazon Alexa Voice Assistant would be the way to go. Best of luck - Jeff C.
Thanks!!;) Do you know if you can initiate playback through alexa or is it only good for increasing volume, skipping songs etc? I also want to play my playlists on spotify and initiate through alexa
You can initiate playback thru Alexa but you need the Sonos skill for Amazon
Userlevel 7
Hi Heatherhoward

First know that you must have the Sonos App and the Alexa App installed on your phone or tablet to use Alexa with the Sonos One.

That said...if you are part of the Amazon ecosystem you'll be able to command Alexa on the Sonos One to play whatever music genre Amazon Music has to offer. Additionally, you'll be able to command Alexa via the Sonos One to play compatible music services such as Sirius XM and others. For instance for Amazon Music the command would be "Alexa...play smooth jazz". For a music service the command would be "Alexa...play Watercolors on Sirius XM. If you have a smart home you can even control your lights with a Philips Hue hub and other smart devices.

If you have additonal Sonos speakers (i.e. Play 1, Play 3 or Play 5 ) named to other rooms you can command Alexa via the Sonos One to play music on them. Such as "Alexa...play smooth jazz on Bedroom". The music will only play on the Bedroom speaker not the Sonos One given the previous command. If you have grouped rooms together beforehand the command would be "Alexa...play smooth jazz". You'll notice that the command did not spceify a particular room when speakers are grouped. Music will play on all speakers until you de-group them.

If you still want to use your Dot I recommend changing the "wake command" on the Dot if it is in close proximity to the Sonos One. You cannot change the wake command on the Sonos One. Also, if you decide to really pump-up your music by creating a stereo pair you must use another Sonos One as the Sonos One and Play: 1 are not compatible as such. If you do create a stereo pair with Sonos One's I recommend turning off the "listening mic" of one speaker.

Below are two links you'll find useful. The first link is actually a subset of the second. However, I feel viewing them in the order listed is the most beneficial. Welcome to Sonos. Cheers!

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046?_ga=2.54127342.736737393.1518309673-124729981.1509230493

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos
Wow thanks so much;:) What are peoples experiences of the new play one witb alexa as ive read mixed reviews vs the old play 1 which has pretty much excellent reviews
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Wow thanks so much;:) What are peoples experiences of the new play one witb alexa as ive read mixed reviews vs the old play 1 which has pretty much excellent reviews

The sound quality on both is fantastic and I personally can't tell the difference between a Play 1 and a Sonos One. Alexa support is good with a few exceptions:

1/ Not all Alexa skills are supported. Audible and audio skills are in the group that aren't supported;
2/ The Sonos One, although getting better, is still not as good as an Echo Dot at hearing the wake word;
3/ As AjTrek1 says, there is no ability to group players via voice control but I would expect that to come soon.

Personally, I would go for the Sonos One.
Userlevel 7

IMO there is no sonic difference between the Play: 1 and the Sonos One. If there is a difference I believe one would have to be part canine to hear it 😉. I don't make that claim lightly for the following reason...

I'll allow that Sonos had to make some cosmetic changes in the appearance of the Sonos One vs the Play: 1; as well as internally adjust some of the architecture (i.e. microphone array and rear panel connections etc). That said unless Sonos publishes information (which for now they have not) regarding the specifications for reproduction of music that details where the differences lie which would affect the listening experience I have to say the speakers are identical in that respect.

Furthermore, Sonos has not made mention of any improved DAC's or exotic speaker materials that would suggest an improved listening experience with the Sonos One over that of the Play: 1. Even if I can't hear it (perceive it) at least publish data that would indicate a realization via more critical listening and/or my having better hearing :8.

So bottom-line I chose the Sonos One not because of an improved listening experience but for the Alexa integration. In fact I sold my Play 1's (which were all in stereo pairs) and replaced them with Sonos One's because as I mentioned before the two are not compatible as a stereo pair.

One last point....both the Sonos One and Play 1 are moisture resistant. Which means either can be placed in a bath or shower room. That said I'd still be hesitant to place them in an area where the moisture/humidity content is constantly high (i.e. sauna or green house).

I hope this helps!
This is all so helpful and informative;) Set on a sonos one now, just have to decide if 1 or 2 (due to the deal) although i think ill stick with one as, whilst ive put up with a tinny bluetooth from tesco for years and dont mind paying a bit, im not a flush with money sadly;( Does anyone know if the flexson stands are any good(&the length of their cables?)
Userlevel 7
Flexson stands are great with excellent cable management. Places the speakers at the perfect level for listening _seated or standing. Flexibility in placement is a bonus if no tables, countertop or book shelves are available. Highly recommended in a Home Theater surround setup. There is also an alternative brand _Sanus, although I have no experience with them.
Userlevel 7
This is a bit off topic to your inquiries but I highly recommend a boost setup as opposed to direct WiFi to prevent potential issues. Not saying that you’ll have them but a boost setup provides for a stronger signal with less interference from other devices as might be the case with WiFi.

As you may have read in the link I provided in a previous post a boost setup requires an Ethernet connection to the speaker or use of the Sonos dedicated boost component ($99 USD). The latter provides more flexibility for speaker placement especially so if you are considering using stands.
My wifi is excellent and i only live in a very small house with just me and wont be using other devices at the same time as id switch my dot off. Theres a limit on what i can afford as im on my own, this is a push
Userlevel 7
My wifi is excellent and i only live in a very small house with just me and wont be using other devices at the same time as id switch my dot off.

Boost was only a suggestion, but if you do run into WiFi difficulties... you have an alternative solution. Also, WiFi or not... you don ‘t have to switch off your Dot; unless that’s what you want to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You won't regret getting 2 of them.

I'm not sure the negative reviews you have seen as the Sonos One is pretty universally praised.

The Sonos One does sound pretty identical to the Play:1 with the advantage of the Alexa built in. It is nice having the Sonos One instead of using the Alexa skill because with the Alexa skill you have to currently name the room. Such as to the Dot you have to say "Play Bruno Mars in Living Room" where Living Room is your name of Sonos unit. When using the Alexa built in the Sonos One you just tell it "Play Bruno Mars".

Also the Sonos One doesn't behave any different then other Play speakers from Sonos in that you can fully use the Sonos app and group it with other Sonos units (it really is a Play:1 with Alexa built in). You don't loose anything Sonos wise.

You do loose a few things it can't do that the dot can do (like calling features) that Amazon currently doesn't support on third party devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Seen as you already own a Dot, Why not just buy the Sonos Play 1. Currently retailing for around £130. Less if you look around. If you hold off buying your stands until later you could possibly afford buying 2 Play 1s. One upstairs and one downstairs. You can place your Dot in a position that your voice is heard both upstairs and downstairs. (The Dot is only acting as a mic in this setup)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos One is a better experience then play1 and dot
I checked out the reviews of the sonos skill in the alexa app and they seemed dire and suggested integration was poor hence why i then started looking at the sonos one xx
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos One is a better experience then play1 and dot

I respect your opinion, but in my opinion the dot and play 1 is a better experience.
Having the dot, gives you access to skills that the Sonos does not support and some that it probably will never support.
But that aside the op of this thread has stated that money is an issue. Do you really think that the Sonos one is worth 80 stg more when user already owns dot and has stated that he is just interested in listening to music and radio.
With the dot he/she just needs to say play "artist" upstairs or play "artist" downstairs.
Job done. 2 Sonos for price of one "one" and one Sonos one wall stand.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I checked out the reviews of the sonos skill in the alexa app and they seemed dire and suggested integration was poor hence why i then started looking at the sonos one xx
Check recent reviews. Sonos really have improved things. Try the 100 day test. You will thank me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos One is nice not having to speak the room name and more reliable in commands. It is a much more fluid experience then using dot and play:1. Also the ducking issue doesn’t effect it in that alexa kno s to only lower its volume not other speakers in the house as current play:1 dot integration would do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t see how Alexa skill has improved/changed since release.
Confused even more now but thanks for all your help;) I just want to get the best i can for my needs and having waited this long the extra 35 for a one isnt as much of an issue as is the need to get something moat suited to my needs and home
Userlevel 2
Badge
If you can buy a Sonos one for just 35 more then go with that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also the Sonos One is more future proof - with future addition of Google Home and Airplay2.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Also the Sonos One is more future proof - with future addition of Google Home and Airplay2. I wasn't aware that Sonos had announced that the play 1 wouldn't support Google home or airplay 2. When was this announced?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has implied that the Sonos One is the only speaker that is guaranteed to work as airplay2 receiver (of course you could then use it to receive the airplay2 and send to an older speaker like Play:1 - - but you may need the Sonos One to do the receiving). Speculation though is that all Gen2 devices may be able to do it (meaning playbase and Play:5 gen2 may be able to receive as well - but not ever confirmed by Sonos).