Question

Help me choose please;) Sonos play 1 or new play one?

• 10 February 2018
  • 31 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Wow thanks so much;:) What are peoples experiences of the new play one witb alexa as ive read mixed reviews vs the old play 1 which has pretty much excellent reviews

The sound quality on both is fantastic and I personally can't tell the difference between a Play 1 and a Sonos One. Alexa support is good with a few exceptions:

1/ Not all Alexa skills are supported. Audible and audio skills are in the group that aren't supported;
2/ The Sonos One, although getting better, is still not as good as an Echo Dot at hearing the wake word;
3/ As AjTrek1 says, there is no ability to group players via voice control but I would expect that to come soon.

Personally, I would go for the Sonos One.
Wow thanks so much;:) What are peoples experiences of the new play one witb alexa as ive read mixed reviews vs the old play 1 which has pretty much excellent reviews
Userlevel 7
Hi Heatherhoward

First know that you must have the Sonos App and the Alexa App installed on your phone or tablet to use Alexa with the Sonos One.

That said...if you are part of the Amazon ecosystem you'll be able to command Alexa on the Sonos One to play whatever music genre Amazon Music has to offer. Additionally, you'll be able to command Alexa via the Sonos One to play compatible music services such as Sirius XM and others. For instance for Amazon Music the command would be "Alexa...play smooth jazz". For a music service the command would be "Alexa...play Watercolors on Sirius XM. If you have a smart home you can even control your lights with a Philips Hue hub and other smart devices.

If you have additonal Sonos speakers (i.e. Play 1, Play 3 or Play 5 ) named to other rooms you can command Alexa via the Sonos One to play music on them. Such as "Alexa...play smooth jazz on Bedroom". The music will only play on the Bedroom speaker not the Sonos One given the previous command. If you have grouped rooms together beforehand the command would be "Alexa...play smooth jazz". You'll notice that the command did not spceify a particular room when speakers are grouped. Music will play on all speakers until you de-group them.

If you still want to use your Dot I recommend changing the "wake command" on the Dot if it is in close proximity to the Sonos One. You cannot change the wake command on the Sonos One. Also, if you decide to really pump-up your music by creating a stereo pair you must use another Sonos One as the Sonos One and Play: 1 are not compatible as such. If you do create a stereo pair with Sonos One's I recommend turning off the "listening mic" of one speaker.

Below are two links you'll find useful. The first link is actually a subset of the second. However, I feel viewing them in the order listed is the most beneficial. Welcome to Sonos. Cheers!

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046?_ga=2.54127342.736737393.1518309673-124729981.1509230493

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos
You can initiate playback thru Alexa but you need the Sonos skill for Amazon
Thanks!!;) Do you know if you can initiate playback through alexa or is it only good for increasing volume, skipping songs etc? I also want to play my playlists on spotify and initiate through alexa
I have had the sonos system for 6 years now, it consists of two play 3's and two play 5's, this system is awsome. For your application the Sonos - One Wireless Speaker with Amazon Alexa Voice Assistant would be the way to go. Best of luck - Jeff C.