Help for New Home Setup

• 18 April 2019
  • 1 reply

Dear Community,

I have two rooms in my home with 5 in-ceiling speakers each. The 5 are in a 5.1 surround sound setting in the ceiling. One of the rooms is the basement and the other is on the 2nd floor. There are also 2 in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen area. So that's a total of 12 in-ceiling speakers in the home. I also have a Playbar and Sonos Sub which I have setup as a single group, and I just play music to these two.

In one of the 5.1 rooms, on the 2nd floor, there is a Denon Receiver and Sub-woofer (non-Sonos) and that room is set up with TV in a 5.1 surround sound system setting.

The other 5.1 room, the basement, is just empty for now.

My request for help is as follows: I see 3 zones in my home - the kitchen, the 2nd floor room and the basement. I'd like to connect the speakers in all of these rooms together, with the option of playing to a specific zone when needed. I'd like to also add the Playbar and Sonos Sub to this network, and I might move the Playbar and Sonos Sub around the house.

I am looking for help as to what equipment I need, where/what to buy and the process to set this up.

And if it helps: the in-ceiling speakers are the VP62R from Sonance.

Kindly help me with your valuable inputs.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
2nd Floor room - I'd get a Connect. That will send audio to/from your receiver, making it a part of the your Sonos system.

Basement - I probably would get a 3rd party HT receiver (and sub if you don't have it already) and a Connect. Essentially the same setup as above. You could alternately get two Sonos Amps (one for front L/R, one for Rear L?R) but there is no center channel option with the Sonos amps, the center channel is 'phantom'.

Kitchen - I would get a Sonos amp to power the speakers directly, or a Connect if you're happy with your current amp powering the speakers.

The Sonos products will have the ability to play together in any combination or individually, except where bonded together to form a single room, as you've done with your playbar and sub.