Help choosing Sonos combo for living space

• 7 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I am moving house and looking to upgrade my Sonos system. I am thinking of an Arc + Sub + 2 x Play1 to compliment my existing 2 x Play 1’s. The system is to be largely for music but also for movies.

I am thinking of having a surround set up in the sofa area with 2 of the 1’s on stands adjacent to the sofa with two further 1’s in the kitchen and dining areas.

One concern with the Arc is the shape of the ceiling and that the TV and Arc will be closer to one side wall than the other. Is this an issue or does the addition of the sub and surround 1’s negate any potential problems?

Happy for people to suggest alternate options but I am quite keen on this set up as get 30% off from upgrading my old Play 5 which saves a whopping £600 on the set!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

The shape of the ceiling will minimize the height channel effects produced by the two upward firing drivers when watching/listening to Dolby Atmos content. And you will experience a slightly stronger surround effect on the right side of the room than the left because the Arc’s side firing drivers will reflect sound off of the side walls. But I think the Arc/Sub/Play:1s (or One SLs) setup will still sound great in that space. Most living rooms, including mine, aren’t perfectly symmetrical and balanced.

The shape of the ceiling will minimize the height channels effects produced by the two upward firing drivers when watching/listening to Dolby Atmos content. And you will experience a slightly stronger surround effect on the right side of the room than the left because of the Arc’s side firing drivers will reflect sound off of the side walls. But I think the Arc/Sub/Play:1s (or One SLs) setup will still sound great in that space.

OK thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it may not be ‘perfect’ but as long as not better off with a different set up - say 2 x Play5s with a sub - thats good to hear.

I think your plan of having an Arc + sub + Ones  and then a pair of Ones in the kitchen/dining is a good one.  You are correct that the room is not ideal for home theatre audio.  The ceiling is an issue, and the lack of side walls is a bit of an issue.  But trueplay tuning will help get the best out of the room.   To do better, you’d have to use a different system with speakers in the ceiling and everything wired, but I really don’t think it’s worth it considering the space and how you intend to use it.

Userlevel 7

You could use two Sonos Fives as surrounds with the Arc instead of the Play:1s or One SLs. For most people, two Fives as surrounds is overkill, but your room might be able to handle it. Two Fives as surrounds would sound better for music listening too. Just make sure you set Music Playback under the Surrounds setting to Full in the Sonos app.

You could use two Sonos Fives as surrounds with the Arc instead of the Play:1s or One SLs. For most people, two Fives as surrounds is overkill, but your room might be able to handle it. Two Fives as surrounds would sound better for music listening too. Just make sure you set Music Playback under the Surrounds setting to Full in the Sonos app.

If you’re going to get Fives though, he would get better use of them as a stand alone Sonos room and use his existing play:1s as surrounds.  Personally, I think having the Arc + 2 play:1 surround + 2 Sonos One in kitchen/dining will cover the space well enough.

Edit: On second thought, I would consider putting fives on the wall with the large window to cover the whole space for music, not use the Arc at all.  

The shape of the ceiling will minimize the height channels effects produced by the two upward firing drivers when watching/listening to Dolby Atmos content. And you will experience a slightly stronger surround effect on the right side of the room than the left because of the Arc’s side firing drivers will reflect sound off of the side walls. But I think the Arc/Sub/Play:1s (or One SLs) setup will still sound great in that space.

OK thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate it may not be ‘perfect’ but as long as not better off with a different set up - say 2 x Play5s with a sub - thats good to hear.

You wouldn’t be able to use that setup for TV audio. 

Thanks guys, seems that my suggested set up is probably best suited. Can always add some 5’s after the event if really need them. I think the £600 saving is also too good to miss. Thanks all