Answered

[HELP] Best setup recommendation?

• 15 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi guys,
I’m currently thinking about updating my sound system from a convention HiFi system to Sonos (need space) but I’m split between two ideas. My main uses for the system would be to play my record player/Spotify as well as gaming and occasional movies on my Xbox. I’m split between getting a pair of Play 1s a beam and a sub or just two Play 5s on there own. Can anyone guide me in the right direction or offer and alternative setup?
Thank you!
icon

Best answer by Misfit 15 July 2019, 21:12

If you want to be able to use your turntable, you will want to go with the Play:5's

However that wont be idea for gaming and movies.

Ideally if you have the funds, go with a Beam, Play:1's, Sub, and a Connect.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
If you want to be able to use your turntable, you will want to go with the Play:5's

Thanks for the reply Misfit. Would a pair of Play 5s and a Playbar to connect the TV too be a bit overkill?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Thanks for the reply Misfit. Would a pair of Play 5s and a Playbar to connect the TV too be a bit overkill?

You will rarely if ever hear me say something is overkill.

Just keep in mind, if you use the Play:5's as surrounds for the Playbar, that will disable the line-in on them. So you would have to separate the surrounds, just to be able to play your turntable over line-in.
Userlevel 7
Hi TomMcNally

Turntable (Record Player)
  1. Your Turntable (record player) would need to be pre-amped either internally or via an external pre-amp.
  2. It would then need to be connected to a Sonos Connect via RCA -Out from the pre-amp.
  3. The line-In of the Connect would be set to Auto.
Turntable Audio Options
  1. Group the Sonos Connect to the Beam
  2. Set the Beam as the Auto Play room (speaker)
  3. Direct to Play 5's via Line-In on Left speaker_preferred (but not very good for TV audio)
Beam Setup
  1. Beam would connect to your TV via HDMI-ARC to its HDMI-ARC port (cable included) or via the (included) optical adapter.
  2. The Play 1's and sub would be bonded to the Beam.
  3. Beam only recognizes DD5.1 or PCM (stereo).
  4. When playing music to the Beam the Play 1's can be set to act as FULL ON speakers automictically and revert back to surround mode (automictically) when the music stops.
Note: In some cases to get DD5.1 depending upon the TV the audio portion may have to be sent via optical thru a HDMI/Optical splitter to prevent the TV from manipulating the audio sent via HDMI-ARC and forcing PCM output. You won't know this if this is necessary until you make the connections.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Thanks for the reply Misfit. Would a pair of Play 5s and a Playbar to connect the TV too be a bit overkill?You will rarely if ever hear me say something is overkill.

Just keep in mind, if you use the Play:5's as surrounds for the Playbar, that will disable the line-in on them. So you would have to separate the surrounds, just to be able to play your turntable over line-in.

Would it be possible to connect the line in from one Play 5 to the TV and the other Play 5 to the turntable?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks for the reply Misfit. Would a pair of Play 5s and a Playbar to connect the TV too be a bit overkill?You will rarely if ever hear me say something is overkill.

Would it be possible to connect the line in from one Play 5 to the TV and the other Play 5 to the turntable?

Providing they're not used as surrounds or a stereo pair. They would need to be their own separate rooms.
Userlevel 7

Providing they're not used as surrounds or a stereo pair. They would need to be their own separate rooms.

@Misfit
@TomMcNally

Correct on Play 5's used as surrounds. FYI, I have Play 5's in stereo pair. Line in from Chromecast audio connected to right Play 5 and CD player connected to left Play 5. The caveat is not to use auto-play on both. 😉

You might use Auto Play for TV and select Line -in for TT. Just be sure to turn TV off before engaging TT line-in.

Cheers!