Question

HD S2 ... A bit lost what HD Audio we can use

• 15 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Morning all,

Spent a morning reading but still a bit lost on the HD option on S2. 

If I understand right, HD from local NAS is available now? But is any streaming service (like Tidal) available now? 

Currently reconfiguring what we have and happy to add new boxes (looks like a Sonos Amp & Port for us and two systems.

But trying to understand if we really are getting HD audio or just HD local playable music.

Also are there any other music services other than Tidal that provide HD Audio. And are they usable on Sonos?

Apols, probably obvious question but the clarity not jumping out at me,

Thanks again

4 replies

Ah, but what do you mean by HD audio?

Sonos has long been able to play lossless, CD quality, 16 bit files, including FLAC and ALAC, from local and streamed sources.

In S2, Sonos has added support for so called ‘hi res’ FLAC and ALAC files, with 24 bit depth and sample rates 44.1 / 48 Khz, played from local network storage.  No streaming.

The hope of many users (not me, I’m indifferent to HiRes) is that this will be a first step.  No roadmap has been given though.

I hope that helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Ah, but what do you mean by HD audio?

Sonos has long been able to play lossless, CD quality, 16 bit files, including FLAC and ALAC, from local and streamed sources.

In S2, Sonos has added support for so called ‘hi res’ FLAC and ALAC files, with 24 bit depth and sample rates 44.1 / 48 Khz, played from local network storage.  No streaming.

The hope of many users (not me, I’m indifferent to HiRes) is that this will be a first step.  No roadmap has been given though.

I hope that helps.

Got it, thanks John …. yes is a bit of a damp squid that really. 

So I can play local stored FLAC & ALAC stuff (which I have) but not use Tidal and the like?

And if I understand you right then things like Amazon Music HD will play as they just the 16bit CD format? I.e current available on S1 or S2?

And grouping aside, is there any real tangible reason to be installing S2 right now? I most likely will but am struggling a bit understand what it is bringing to the party right now …. save the legacy debate of course.

Thanks

I don't think there is much to be gained on S2 right now, but it's really a fork in the path. S2 is the platform on which Sonos will build future developments. 

My view, FWIW, has always been that there was no point splitting systems or upgrading until there was an S2 feature an individual valued highly enough to make it worthwhile.

(Having said that,  I have split my system! I use a legacy Connect to play a hifi system that I never group with other speakers.  Everyone's situation is different. )

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I don't think there is much to be gained on S2 right now, but it's really a fork in the path. S2 is the platform on which Sonos will build future developments. 

My view, FWIW, has always been that there was no point splitting systems or upgrading until there was an S2 feature an individual valued highly enough to make it worthwhile.

(Having said that,  I have split my system! I use a legacy Connect to play a hifi system that I never group with other speakers.  Everyone's situation is different. )

Yeah this sounds not dissimilar to my config …. time to try both apps I think.

But certainly hope that something new and compelling comes down the line fairly soon .

Thanks for clarifying John, makes sense now